• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

differential tags

camoxj93

NAXJA Forum User
hi people, i have a 93 xj with 4.0 auto. there are two tags on the diff. one says "35" which i assume means a dana 35. the other says "1553". anyone know what this means?

3.54 gears!

The tag that's held on by a diff-cover bolt should have your gear ratio on the left side of the lower line of letters/numbers. Yours should say 3.54 (3.55?), assuming it's still stock.

Before you assume, compare.

Is this your rear axle?
axle_d35.jpg

That's a Dana35, and that's what you got if you have ABS.

If you don't have ABS, you should have the Chrysler 8.25" rear, shown here:
axle_825.jpg

I don't trust the tags much. With the 4.0L and AW-4 auto tranny you should have 3.55 gears. I seem to recall mine may have said '1553' on it before regearing but wouldn't put much faith in that. Then again, it still said the same after regearing to 4.56, since the guy that did the work simply reattached the existing tags...

Axle pics here: http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html

thats interesting, it looks like the chrysler (flat part on bottom) but it has a tag that says "35". there are no fuses or anything on the abs parts so im assuming i dont have abs. also, both tags are held on by diff bolts. the reason i am asking is i have an 88 and a 93 xj. the 88 has a dana 44, the 93 i guess is chrysler. i am planning to swap them and i want to make sure they are the same gear ratio. the 44 has a tag saying "355". so im trying to make sure the chrysler is the same so i can use 4x4 in both untill i regear.......

camoxj93 said:
thats interesting, it looks like the chrysler (flat part on bottom) but it has a tag that says "35". there are no fuses or anything on the abs parts so im assuming i dont have abs. also, both tags are held on by diff bolts. the reason i am asking is i have an 88 and a 93 xj. the 88 has a dana 44, the 93 i guess is chrysler. i am planning to swap them and i want to make sure they are the same gear ratio. the 44 has a tag saying "355". so im trying to make sure the chrysler is the same so i can use 4x4 in both untill i regear.......
pull the diff cover and look for the gear ratios on the side of the ring gear, or just count the teeth on the ring gear and pinion.

Back