• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Repaint my XJ

mike01166

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ 93 4 Door has a bad paint job. The hood and roof has oxidizing paint everywhere, and i recently did some nice long 3 foot long scratches down the side while wheelin'.

If i sand the jeep on my own, prep it , and prime it, how much will a paintjob cost at macco.

I dont want anything really fancy, maybe just a flat white or a glossy white.

macco has the 300$ special every now and then. Depending on the actual macco, ive seen some DAMN good work, then i've also seen some shoddy work.

it's not that hard to just paint it yourself .. granted you have an air compressor.. get a gun and some paint.. spray it yourself!!! just practice painting on an old hood or do the inside of your hood first.. the key is to make as many light coats as possible.. waiting 15mins btwn coats.. after you get good you can lay down the whole thing but for a beginner spray as little as possible over the surface and recoat it.. if you get a run.. just leave it don't try to fix it. you can get cheap missmixed paint or a common color even cheaper.. white is the cheapest [80 bucks for enough to paint your XJ+ (clear and chemicals 100+/-)]. MACCO can lick the dog crap off of my shoes.. you might as well roll house paint on your car. if you want to practice more get a prepainted peice of tin at lowes for 8 bucks and reshoot it.. .. if you spray it in your garage pin up plastic to the ceiling for a curtain. don't spray on a rainy or extra hot day.. you want it to be 75-90 degrees.. overcast would be nice. make sure you tape everything off, clean the surface... If you have any more questions ask the guy at cherwin williams.. oh, and look for guns at your local pawn shops.. good luck.

Last edited:
ju$tice720 said:
it's not that hard to just paint it yourself .. granted you have an air compressor.. get a gun and some paint.. spray it yourself!!! just practice painting on an old hood or do the inside of your hood first.. the key is to make as many light coats as possible.. waiting 15mins btwn coats.. after you get good you can lay down the whole thing but for a beginner spray as little as possible over the surface and recoat it.. if you get a run.. just leave it don't try to fix it. you can get cheap missmixed paint or a common color even cheaper.. white is the cheapest [80 bucks for enough to paint your XJ+ (clear and chemicals 100+/-)]. MACCO can lick the dog crap off of my shoes.. you might as well roll house paint on your car. if you want to practice more get a prepainted peice of tin at lowes for 8 bucks and reshoot it.. .. if you spray it in your garage pin up plastic to the ceiling for a curtain. don't spray on a rainy or extra hot day.. you want it to be 75-90 degrees.. overcast would be nice. make sure you tape everything off, clean the surface... If you have any more questions ask the guy at cherwin williams.. oh, and look for guns at your local pawn shops.. good luck.
Like I said BEFORE. All macco's are NOT equal. I know one guy who had his truck done by macco, 400 dollars and change.... that was almost 7 years ago and it still shines, no chipping/fading. THEN, I know another guy who went to a different MACCO and they botched his twice. but they were good to fix their mistakes.
Not to mention, if he does it himself, he has to MAKE a clean room, sand it OR do a complete strip (which REALLY gets expensive). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for DIY, but when it comes to a GOOD/DECENT paint job, i will pay someone. I myself, just rattlecan, but I don't care what my ride looks like.

I agree on going to Maaco. I work in a autobody shop and just cheap paint (Omni, PPG's bottom product line) alone is going to run $300 from a local jobber.

Prep and mask it yourself and go to Maaco. You know your going to scratch it wheeling.

For $400 you can't go wrong. We won't even touch a complete (exterior only) for under $2000, and that is a brand new rig. Infact we are doing a $10k body and paint on a 66 mustang SEDAN, not even a Fastback. People are crazy sometimes.

I work at maaco so I can tell ya what yer up against....what yer paint is actually doing is cracking. You pretty much have to strip the surface to bare metal or the cracks will show through on the new paint. The other option is to sand and prime, but its a gamble. Also, dont prep it yourself, because 99 times out of 100 sand scratches show through when people bring me things already prepped, plus you wont get a warranty. remember one thing....every maaco is different. They are franchised, so some are cheap and outdated and others are state of the art facilities (like mine). If you are gonna keep the truck for a while just get the supreme paint service with integrated clear coat....it will last forever and expect to pay around 600 for paint and 7-900 for stripping. let me know if ya got questions

Back