• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check out this crap on my rocker arms

Mike1331

NAXJA Forum User
What would cause this? I searched around and found some people with black sludge from penzoil but this looks different. It feels tacky like hardened salt water taffy. I've never used penzoil but the previous owner might have, i did however run through some engine detergant (forgot the brand) for 5 minutes then changed the oil twice within 500 miles. This may of had a negative effect on somthing.

87 4.0 181k

Man, that is ugly! I would have to guess it is some kind of additive that didn't go over well. I would also suggest manually scraping out as much of that crap as you can. No, it will not be a fun or clean job. Have any oil leaks? I would be interested to see if there is a bunch more in the oil pan. If you pull the pan and pop on some new gaskets, you will have fairly decent access to get most of that junk out. Does it seem to run OK?

It ran quite well, on ocasion it would knock at start up, and sometimes backfire out the cone filter (maybey once every two months), but it ran strong otherwise. I'm replacing the head now but I probably should drop the pan and clean that as well. The oil pressure is fine 4 at idle and 6-7 when on the freeway, It takes about 5 minutes to drop from 8 when warming up.

Last edited:
Mike1331 said:
The oil pressure is fine 4 at idle and 6-7 when on the freeway, It takes about 5 minutes to frop from 8 when warming up.

woah hold it! Oil pressure is 4 at idle? That can't be right. Maybe you mean 40?

Even if you ment 40, 50 60 and 80, 80 at a cold start is sky high...still not good at all.

I meant 40, @ cold start the needle goes all the way to the right then drops to 70 in about 30 sec. then goes to 40 in a couple more minutes.

langer1 said:
Judging from the color I'd say the filler cap melted and fell in on top of the rockers, the engine was in a fire at some time.

Wow, didn't see that one comen

It does lood like metal but it was soft so I didn't expect it to be, I guess the combo of heat/oil/plactic could have made it less viscuss.

Betcha the PO put one of those miracle addtives in to quiet the engine down, improve milage, add horsepower and make him more regular....
Way back a friend of mine bought a 66 chevy nova ss, we went to change the rear diff fluid after he drove it 10 miles back from the used car dealer and when we popped the diff cover off found it stuffed with bananna peels...we know it was bannana peels because of the Chiquita label that was stuck to the carrier.. it sure did quiet it down a lot though...

bananas huh, thats one hell of a mirical additive, the only thing i''ve put through this junk has been in the tank, fuel inj. cleaner every oil change and octane booster when wheelen.

Back