• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension bolts

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm going to be replacing my LCAs, UCas and probably my leaf spring bushings when I do my lift/axle swap next week. I'd like to just replace all those bolts with new ones, so I can hack the UCAs and LCAs off with a sawzall. Anybody have a list of what sizes these bolts are?
5-90 where are you :)

87manche said:
So, I'm going to be replacing my LCAs, UCas and probably my leaf spring bushings when I do my lift/axle swap next week. I'd like to just replace all those bolts with new ones, so I can hack the UCAs and LCAs off with a sawzall. Anybody have a list of what sizes these bolts are?

Just go to the dealer and ask for the bolts you want.

I just got back from the dodge dealership and picked up my "front" leaf springs bolts for this weekend when I install the lift. If you need part numbers let me know.

87manche said:

Right here! I may not have everything yet, and I don't have the notes handy, but you might want to check my website. I put up a Tech Archive recently, and one of the pages should be bolt sizes.

If I don't have them listed, and you end up getting new ones anyhow, please do measure them, and send the information to me - along with application and bolt location - so I can put it up for other people.

I announced the Tech Pages after I put them up...

5-90

The first thing I would do is stay away from factory hardware.They use extruded threads which means a really sloppy fit(on the shank).Second I run a combination of American/metric threads(what ever fits best) where possible(@LCA'S-9/16").Third I alway buy bolts by their shank length,not OAL.Even grade 8 American is still alot cheaper than the dealer.

well, there's a Fastenal here in town now, so I'll be able to find everything I need in Grade 8, and probably cheaper than the dealer.

5-90 said:
Right here! I may not have everything yet, and I don't have the notes handy, but you might want to check my website. I put up a Tech Archive recently, and one of the pages should be bolt sizes.

If I don't have them listed, and you end up getting new ones anyhow, please do measure them, and send the information to me - along with application and bolt location - so I can put it up for other people.

I announced the Tech Pages after I put them up...

5-90
Yeah I looked in your tech pages, the Steering and Suspension category is empty. I was hoping you had them written down somewhere and they just hadn't made it to the page.
I'll take measurements for you, I called the dealer last night and told him to bag them up for me and set them aside. Gonna cost me like $50 for freakin bolts.

87manche said:
Yeah I looked in your tech pages, the Steering and Suspension category is empty. I was hoping you had them written down somewhere and they just hadn't made it to the page.
I'll take measurements for you, I called the dealer last night and told him to bag them up for me and set them aside. Gonna cost me like $50 for freakin bolts.

ouch... why not just take the bolts out, I switched my control arms AGAIN last week and I think the lowers are only torqued to 85 ft/lbs or so and the uppers are only 55 I think... that way you can measure and get the good grade 8 stuff for half the price of the dealer taking you for a ride... I hate dealerships with a passion

because I need the truck to go and get parts. Those bolts have been on there for 20 years in the middle of the rust belt. That's the reason I want to get new ones before I attempt to take them out, I'm planning on some cutting/torching/drilling to get them out. I've learned that livingin OH means you should just plan on putting new hardware on when you're taking something apart, because you're going to cut it to get it off.

87manche said:
because I need the truck to go and get parts. Those bolts have been on there for 20 years in the middle of the rust belt. That's the reason I want to get new ones before I attempt to take them out, I'm planning on some cutting/torching/drilling to get them out. I've learned that livingin OH means you should just plan on putting new hardware on when you're taking something apart, because you're going to cut it to get it off.

I feel your pain on that too... obviously us in WV are in the same boat, I think a lot of it has to do with the road salt in winter time, I really do... anyways, our club is going to wellsville june 10th I think... U should try and make it... I will be at Defensive Tactics training, but jeepinwv has some good dudes

I have extras in a box somewhere...here's a pic of them if that helps...

bolt2.jpg

I need a thread gauge to figure out what they are...

I'm fairly sure they're metric - but I'd have to look again.

Here's a thought - what are those off of, anyhow? Take pictures of them next to a ruler - with the ZERO just at the bottom of the head (overall length) and with the ZERO at one full thread (to get the thread count.)

If the threads fit against a metric ruler better, then use that for the pix. Send the pix to me, and I'll read everything. They're probably M10x1.5 - length, but I won't be sure until I see them with something to give scale. I just haven't had the front end apart on one of mine. Yet.

5-90

LilRedRover said:
I feel your pain on that too... obviously us in WV are in the same boat, I think a lot of it has to do with the road salt in winter time, I really do... anyways, our club is going to wellsville june 10th I think... U should try and make it... I will be at Defensive Tactics training, but jeepinwv has some good dudes
I'm doing a trip down there on the 3rd with my neighbor and a few of this friends, it's posted in the unofficial forum. I may make another trip down. My Grandmother lives down there, and it's about 3 hours from me. Maybe I'll try and talk my neighbor into the 10th.

They're def metric...because this is what the head says...class 10.9 for the front control arms...class 9.8 for leafs.

bolt1.jpg

Back