• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator Q

1984-1986 used a Delco SI, 1987-1990 used a Delco CS, and 1991-up used a Nippondenso.

There's no reason at all to not interchange inside those brackets - so 1991-2001 should swap just fine. If you want to see ID pix, check my website under "San Jose Generator" - I made an ID guide there.

5-90

Well you may run into same prob i did, our 99classic has a differant plug style then my 98 sport, the older one have two ground terminals on alt it self plus the chassis . the newewr models are all included or concealed in the plug assm.

Mine actually looks the same as the one in the pic other than the ground cover thing is turned the other way.

I've heard of people using grand ones and having to grind it down and whatever but I just want something that is basically going to bolt on.

5-90 said:
1984-1986 used a Delco SI, 1987-1990 used a Delco CS, and 1991-up used a Nippondenso.

There's no reason at all to not interchange inside those brackets - so 1991-2001 should swap just fine. If you want to see ID pix, check my website under "San Jose Generator" - I made an ID guide there.

5-90

On your ID guide mine looks like the one on the bottom of the page on the right other than the plastic piece on the right is pointed away from where the plug bolts up instead of towards it...do you think the alternator from that site would work with mine if I just reuse my own plastic piece?

That plastic bit (the insulator under the output wire, I believe) should be retained by the bottom nut - you should be able to remove that nut (10m/m, I think?) take out the plastic, move it where you want it, and nail it back down.

Rod told me that part number is good for all XJ/MJ 1991-2001, and pretty much for Jeep in general (1991-up), and I've learned to trust him over the years.

So, there's no particular reason I can think of why you wouldn't be able to just realign that thing to where you need it.

5-90

5-90 said:
That plastic bit (the insulator under the output wire, I believe) should be retained by the bottom nut - you should be able to remove that nut (10m/m, I think?) take out the plastic, move it where you want it, and nail it back down.

Rod told me that part number is good for all XJ/MJ 1991-2001, and pretty much for Jeep in general (1991-up), and I've learned to trust him over the years.

So, there's no particular reason I can think of why you wouldn't be able to just realign that thing to where you need it.

5-90

thanks...I just ordered one from my local auto part store that is the same situation...just haveto change the plastic insulator around.

Yeah - it's like having to "reclock" the old Delco SI's. It's a nuisance, but takes about two minutes to do (it's what we did when they didn't have the right "clock" in stock.)

Should take you all of about two minutes to get done, and you can get on with the main job.

5-90

Back