• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you know your caster?

well my is at about 6" lift also and my caster after the lift were at +2° and the steering was horrible. But now it's set at -1° and feel better. And i get no vibration in 4 hi.

Might be a bit much at 6" to have 5.5*. Just shorten the lower arm length a bit at a time until the vibes go away and just see if the wandering is not too bad. You should not keep driving with the vibes like that. Another 1/2* less might get rid of the vibes and not effect your wandering much at all? Cant really do anything else unless you use offset ball joint or cut and rotate the knuckles.

6'' 5* caster. LP d30 no vibes.

Have you pulled your front shaft to see if that's where your vibes come from?

Dirt said:
6'' 5* caster. LP d30 no vibes.

Have you pulled your front shaft to see if that's where your vibes come from?

was gonna be my suggestion too... your caster isn't "that bad"... you may have a bent or out of balance driveshaft

I have chased many a vibe which ended up being the uni's in the front shaft or a worn slip yoke. Before you pull it, push up and down on the slip yoke and if there is any movement, it needs to be replaced. You will find it cheaper to grab as late a model front shaft from a wreakers than replacing that and or all the uni's.

castor has NO effect on vibes.... if you have too little the jeep will wonder and the steering wheel will not center itself after turning, the more you add, the harder it is to steer.

the vibes are prolly from your front driveshaft

tealcherokee said:
castor has NO effect on vibes.... if you have too little the jeep will wonder and the steering wheel will not center itself after turning, the more you add, the harder it is to steer.

the vibes are prolly from your front driveshaft
In a perfect world, all the angles would be independently adjustable, so your statement would be correct. In the case of him adjusting his caster, unless he cuts off the knuckles to adjust the caster independently, any change in caster angle is a direct change to his pinion angle. If he sets his caster to stock, his pinion will be pointed too far down in comparison to the output from his tcase, which causes vibrations in the axle end ujoint. So short of cutting and rotating his knuckles or offset ball joints, him adjusting his caster will have an affect on vibes.

id rather my jeep steer correctly than wonder all over the road because my front shaft is vibing, get some disco hubs...... or cut and turn the knuckles

what he teal said. ive got 3* caster, with disco hubs. handles fine - i havent run it over 10mph with the front drivetrain engaged.

too lazy to extend the radius', i like the way it drives on the highway neway

Back