• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water pump removal

rckclmbr

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i searched and found a whole lot but not the right thing that i need. i am trying to replace the pump but i need to get teh belt off first. so i have been trying to remove the power steering pump but the thing wont budge. i loosened the two bols on the back of it and the one on the front of it. they are all fairly loose. i also did the main tightenting one and its loose to the touch. IT WONT BUDGE!!! i can't get it to slide at all. what do i need to do?

the power steering pump is moved by turning the bolt that's parallel to the belt on the bottom. it operates like a scissors jack. You'll se the head to the right and below the PS pump.

rckclmbr said:
ok so i searched and found a whole lot but not the right thing that i need. i am trying to replace the pump but i need to get teh belt off first. so i have been trying to remove the power steering pump but the thing wont budge. i loosened the two bols on the back of it and the one on the front of it. they are all fairly loose. i also did the main tightenting one and its loose to the touch. IT WONT BUDGE!!! i can't get it to slide at all. what do i need to do?
For detailed instructions, we need to know what YEAR your XJ is..........belt tensioning systems changed during the course of the life of the 4.0 in the XJ.

AZ Jeff said:
For detailed instructions, we need to know what YEAR your XJ is..........belt tensioning systems changed during the course of the life of the 4.0 in the XJ.
that's a very good point, my instructions were for the older style, I forgot to mention that.

I pulled the 4 bolts off the clutch fan, poped that pulley off, and the belt came off. But I also had the grill and radiator out too. 97XJ

Back