• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumb question . . smaller than stock tire size

sewerrat

NAXJA Forum User
To make my XJ more street friendly and gas mileage friendly, can I put slightly smaller than stock tires on and be "safe". I'm looking at a good set of used 225/70/15, which is about an inch shorter than the stock 225/75/15.
I know they will be much quieter than my 30" MTR's, but will I have any other issues?

Thanks

Yup, like Mambeau said, you'll be fine (look in your glovebox--stock size is 205/75R15). Thats what I ride on, pizza cutters, most of the year. You not only save a little gas, but you get to feel the engine power!

r u guys sure on the 205/70R15's? I mean I only starting paying attention since my year a '91 and up and they have gotten progressively larger in size. The stock size was 225/75R15's with the optional 235's on the XJ and 30's on the wranglers......but a 205? jeeesh sure better mpg but don't load it up, go over something in the road or try to corner with those! HAHA

titan4u2c said:
r u guys sure on the 205/70R15's? I mean I only starting paying attention since my year a '91 and up and they have gotten progressively larger in size. The stock size was 225/75R15's with the optional 235's on the XJ and 30's on the wranglers......but a 205? jeeesh sure better mpg but don't load it up, go over something in the road or try to corner with those! HAHA
I saw 195/75R15s on a RENIX-era XJ in a junkyard recently; no reason to believe they weren't stock.

205's are stock for 4 cylinder, 215's and 225's were stock on the 6ers, i beleive all were 75 aspect sidewall

i run 255/55-16's, thats a little over an inch less than stock, speedo is a little fast tho

Back