• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 Questions

JKTXJ

NAXJA Forum User
What is the difference between an 8.8 from a V8 Explorer and an 8.8 from a 6 cylinder Explorer? When they cross reference them at the wrecking yard they show as non-interchangable. In fact, the guy told me that the 6 cyl explorers have the 7.5, but I am pretty certain none of the Explorers came with those. Also, can you get a Lock Right for the Trac-lok carrier? Thanks..

the 6 cyl explorers had the 8.8 and also had 4.11 gears in most of them. If you want to use a lock right make sure you find one with an open diff.

Most around here have the Trac lok, it's tough to find an open one. Also wondering about brakes and how people handle that. What's the best way to attach an RE stainless steel brake line to the 8.8?

brake lines bolt right up but for the hell of it i ran new hard lines across the axle. the are the same thread as the stock jeep lines so you can reuse the line proportioner on your stock axle

When I bought my 8.8 to swap into my MJ I ran into the same question (6 cyl and 8 cyl are different). I was told by the guys at the wrecking yard that the difference is some bracketing on the axle...The axle I got was from a '97 model 6 cy exploder...it has disc brakes and 31 spline axles...I also called the guys at M.O.R.E. and they said the only possible difference internally is some stock 6 cyl diffs may have a smaller cross-pin...no problem in my case since the stock diff went straight to the scrap pile to make room for a Detroit.

If there is different opinion or experience...let me know so I can update my database.

Dawg

The new beast is home... 8.8 from a 99 Explorer 6 cyl. It has 4.10 gears and Track Lok diff. Anyway, I have found Powertrax lockers for the Track Lok but no Lock Right or Aussie. What about a mini spool- any out there for the Track Lock diff?

Back