• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch/Tranny Problem

KingA

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,

I'm stumped on this one and thought I'd run it by you all. I swapped in a NV3550 into my 87 about two years ago. I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing at the same time (kind of had to). Well, the clutch went out this last Christmas and so I replaced it and the flywheel. I left the throwout bearing alone since it was still pretty new.

Three weeks after installing the new clutch and stuff, I started getting a grinding and squealing noise whenever I shifted or disengaged the clutch. So I figured its the throwout bearing and just replaced that. The squealing is gone now, but I still get grinding when I shift. It doesn't happen all the time - mostly when I downshift or crank the engine with the pedal in.

If the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and throwout bearing is all new, what else could it be? The pilot bearing was replaced with the trans swap - I installed a bushing, so no moving parts.

There is a bit of a gear noise from the tranny when it's in neutral and this goes away when I push in the clutch. I don't know much about trannys themselves - could it be a syncroniser? It's as quiet as can be on the highway and shifts smoothly unless it decides to make the grinding noise, then I have some resistance.

Sure appreciate any help you guys can give me.

sounds to me like your clutch might not be disengaging compltely. Have you bled the clutch hydraulic system?

I haven't in a while. I'll try that tomorrow. Wouldn't that cause it to have trouble everytime I shift though? This is usually only intermitent.

Back