• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long arm/joint set up

xjjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
gathered all my parts for my long arm set up, making the lower arms and have some questions. look at the enclosed pics and give me your input. using 2" od chromoly .250 wall tubing (think this is a over kill, but many others stated that this is what they used) then took a grade 8 bolt and cut the head off, then radiused the end to fit the contour of the johnny joint. will weld the bolt to the johnny joint. the bolt is a 1 1/4 x 12 grade 8. then took a 1 1/4 x 12 nut and turned the od down to fit into the 2" tube. (ID is 1.5) plan on leaving about 1/4 inch of turned down nut sticking out of tube so i can weld it onto the tube, plus 2 or so rose bud welds. when it is all done it should look like the pic with the yellow background.
anyone see any issues with this set up ? how about strength in the areas of johnny joint being welded to the bolt, and the threaded insert welded to the tube.

thanks, scot
fb70d5b7.jpg

fb70d5a2.jpg
fb70d59a.jpg

I'm guessing you're doing bushings on both sides...? IMO a JJ solidly attached to the tubing and then a heim on the end with a weld in bung is the best bet for strength (do they make them with a 1.5" OD?) , and the heim is your adjutability. Maybe what you have will hold up, I don't know. But I wouldn't F around with getting off a little cheap on suspension components.

If I were doing what you are doing now. I'd weld a piece of tubing straight to the JJ, and then weld the bolt solidly into that tubing, and then have the a good bung in the main piece of tubing(the bpart that you rounded off a nut. That way you have a good amount of weld on the joint. Take a look at RE's or clayton's long arms, and get ideas from them. _nicko_

On mine I did the same thing except I welded a sleeve to the bolt so I would have more surface area to weld to the JJ.I also used a rod coupling for a longer thread length!

On my buggy, I have welded a threaded bung to the JJ, and then used a 1.5" x .120" wall sleeve inside the 2" tube to create the proper ID for the all thread.

IF you are set on welding the bolt to the JJ, use a piece of tube over the top to give yourself some more weld area, as stated above.

CRASH

It all looks good to me except for the turned down nut part. I think you should allow for 1 1/2 times the diameter of the bolt for threaded area inside the end of your arm. A weld-in bung would probably provide this, but the turned down nut doesn't.

Without sufficient thread area, the leverage on the joint could work the threads loose; even with the jam nut.

Also, consider what the heat of welding does to that grade 8 bolt.

Back