• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

in Tacoma, WA; anybody worried about theft?

saab

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm going to be parking my 01 XJ on the streets of Tacoma and Seattle from now on and am starting to get a little concerned about Tacoma/Seattle/Bellvue being rated as high as #7 on the "most stolen car cities" list. Is anybody else in the same situation? What do you guys do about this?

I'm thinking about putting a fuel line cutoff switch in, I've got the factory alarm, but I'm going to be pissed if I start having trouble. Of course I'm going to be parking it in a bad neighborhood to boot (up and coming is how the city labels it). Anything else I should do?

Even tho the XJ has got over 170k, it still looks good on the outside, tinted windows, etc. I'm affraid some little punk is going to have dreams of a joy ride.

Ben

It has always surprised me the vehicles that get stolen. I have a two friends who have had cherokee's stolen.

The first is a 94 grand cherokee. It has been stolen twice and he has gotten it back after both cases (joy riden) and it is still going strong after several new locks and ignitions. The car is almost completely stock and worth almost nothing even the first time it was stolen.

The second is a 90 xj red, completely stock. Again worth almost nothing. This one he got it back with a few issues (locks, ignition) but it came back with custom wheels and tires, leather interior and a big stereo. Joy riden with the intent of keeping it (till they got pulled over and arrested).

In any case. I have lived in Bellevue/Seattle almost all of my life and I consider it a very safe place to live. Several things you can do to protect yourself.
1. make sure your insurance is good with a low deductible (I do not believe in this but if you are honestly concerned it can relieve some pressure) cherokees are replaceable no matter how much you might be attached to yours.
2. put in a kill switch hiden somewhere.
3. keep a club or similar in it (visual deterent).
4. most important!! Do not keep anything of value in it when it is parked (stereo, cd's, computer, bags)

Just my thoughts,
Michael

Where in Tacoma are you moving? I'm in the process of selling my house, if you want to make an offer.... ;)

The second night I after I moved into my house, my car got broken into and the radio was stolen. It's happened twice since then, and my new BMW was bounced off while parked on the street. And I live in a really nice neighborhood, so if you're moving to Hilltop or something, invest in a couple extra radios to keep as back ups when your gets stolen.

Welcome to the NW, and thanks for driving my property value up!

-----Matt-----

We have lived in our house in NE Tacoma for 18 yrs ,our house broken into the first year we were here by friends of our first nieghbors .When that group left so did the problem .
last year my Toyota truck was opened with a pick next to the lock ,that was the only problem we`ve had.
And we have Houses for sale around here also.I need more jeep friends up here on this hill.

I live just south of Tacoma and have had 2 XJ's stolen out of my driveway. Also had my latest XJ broken into and stereo ripped out while eating dinner at a restaurant in Tacoma.

Now I roll with trail beaten body panels, dented/rusty wheels, worn out tires and no stereo. Haven't had a problem with theft in a while...

PAPXJ said:
I live just south of Tacoma and have had 2 XJ's stolen out of my driveway. Also had my latest XJ broken into and stereo ripped out while eating dinner at a restaurant in Tacoma.

Now I roll with trail beaten body panels, dented/rusty wheels, worn out tires and no stereo. Haven't had a problem with theft in a while...

Haha, that's not what I wanted to hear. I parked my (I think) nice Saab on the street for 12 month almost 2 years ago now (near Stadium). I guess ignorance is bliss in that catagory.

Ben

hards91xj said:
There is Theft in every city or neighborhood:firedevil

Unfortunately I agree with that statement whole heartedly. It isn't the towns/cities, rather it's the people and they are rather mobile.

Back