• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't Start -- NO BUS?

Stouttrout

NAXJA Member #1282
I had the Jeep in the 4X4 shop getting the ARB's in. When they took it off the lift it would not start. It has power but will not crank over. The odometer reading says NO BUS Or BU5. What does this mean? Crank position sensor? That was changed recently. What fuse controls that? We check all the fuses and they are good but the PO did some crazy stuff with sterreo adds and may have messed up a prong. Anyone know what fuse it is?

Here are some specs it:

2000 XJ
Automatic trans
4.0 engine

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Is there a fuse in the fuse box that would control that? This happend once before and I took the fuses out and put them all back in and the truck ran.

It's a connection under the dash; I don't recall the exact location but it's fairly common for the newer ones.

I really have to get this thing running so he can drive it and test everything out. I am 120 miles away from it at the moment.

Anyone know of the location of the connection?

Anyone know if a fuse runs the computer or any part of it?

Anyone know if a fuse runs the Crank sensor?

If it was the crank sensor out wouldn't the vehicle still crank but not start?

It's not the CPS - "NO BUS" means no signal to/from the computer...that's what you're going to have to locate. On the TJs it's a big cannon-plug-type connector that loosens up. RichP should have more info on it as he's got a few TJs that he keeps running.

Got it :) It was a fuse. We jumped a link over them and wham!!! Fired right up. It was the first 20 amp from the bottom on the row closest to the frnt of the Jeep. I am going to run a fuse link off of it so it will not happen again.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Dan

Back