• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interesting Manche for sale in Socal

Skullver

Still Flailing
This isn't mine but came across it whilst browsing for shocks, it has a pretty interesting four-linked rear, just thought someone may be interested or at least would like to hear opinions on the set-up, I don't really know what to think. It looks like the quarter elliptical leaf set up but w/solid links and airbags.
Chris

http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/trader/atl.cgi?ct=2&md=second&id=15495

Last edited:
JohnX said:
If it were an auto, I would be on the way to the bank right now.
You might want to hold off there, Impulse Boy; maybe run it by Captain Compulsion.

:D

I'd think twice if you wanted it for general trail duty or the rocks. Take a good look at the rear link system.

--ron

looks like the rear has lower links going to the front and upper links (or maybe a wishbone) coming from the rear bumper. The pinion movement is going to be crazy with that setup, I wonder how long his u-joints last in the desert.

It looks like it could be easily remedied though with an offset forward wishbone like mine or a single forward upper link and a panhard. The cantilever airbags look pretty good.

That system is a little odd. Is it just me or do all of the links run to the back?

The rear end doesn't bother me...it can be changed. I would buy it for the parts it already has...tires, 9 inch, gears, locker, front lift, etc, if it were an auto. Then the only thing I would have to change is the rear half, which would be hacked off anyway.

Reasons not to buy...don't want to look for an auto to throw in, and don't have the money anyway :(

It's fairly interesting but the first thing wrong with it if I'm not mistaken is that it has a Peugot trans which I had nothing but trouble with on my 88. I've seen an old race set up with 1/4 eliptical springs mounted from the rear before in the old days but you'd need a long slip overlap on the rear driveshaft for that set up if I'm looking at it right. $4300 is too much for all the mods it'd need; you might as well get a clean $1k to $1.5k 2wd and mod it out for that $$. Easy for me to say I have 2 at my house right now that I'm procrastinating on.

JohnX said:
The rear end doesn't bother me...it can be changed. I would buy it for the parts it already has...tires, 9 inch, gears, locker, front lift, etc, if it were an auto. Then the only thing I would have to change is the rear half, which would be hacked off anyway.

Reasons not to buy...don't want to look for an auto to throw in, and don't have the money anyway :(
For what's there, it's too much money.

I just saw that thing yesterday in a parking lot when I was dropping off my Kirby. Rear suspension did look a litte strange passing by.

I don't believe I will be offering full price, but I havn't seen it yet.
If most of what I want is there, and I will be changing out the tranny anyway, I think I will be bringing it home.
I am an old dez racer and the suspention makes sence to me,
but I'm also an old home fab guy and the thaught of having a new project
is appealing.
Rick R :sunshine:

Cool, it would be neat to see the evolution once it changes hands, good luck on your bidding. Wish I had the extra cash for another project(well not really) I have enough stuff to do as it is. Let us know how it turns out.
Chris

Jump This said:
Like you would have a clue Josh...:wierd:

just cuz I'm not familiar with it, doesnt mean I'm dumb

reboot your computer using your powerstrip dude. lol

Jump This said:
Whats a powerstip? :D
isnt that when a stripper weight lifter just rips off her clothes:wierd:

Jump This said:
Called David, will be heading over to take a look at it on Saturday!
Thanks for the heads up dude!!!
Rick R :sunshine:

After you look at it tmw, tell David we miss him being on Comedy Central. :D

-Mike

Back