• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keyless Range

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys
I have a 94 XJ with overhead Console and keyless entry I have the original transmitor but to open the doors I have to be pointblank with the glass windows to open the locks
Is this normal if it isnt how far can you activate your keyless entry from?
May be cause I have Tinted glass???

Ive had this on my 91 and my 96. Yes you just have to be close- like point it in the window. From what I gather it works like a tv remote with the bubble having to be pointed at the sensor in the truck.

Yeah. Ive replaced batteries in the fob but no impressive gains. I can stand maybe 2-3 feet from the window and thats about my range.

Has anyone converted to the RF version? I had a transmitter and receiver from a 98 Grand Caravan I should have tried it with, but sold them on ebay before the thought crossed my mind.

I added an aftermarket system from AudioVox in my '88. It does all the usual stuff, lock/unlock, horn chirp, flash lights, panic, etc, and even can even operate remote trunks.

With fresh batteries, depending on surroundings, I can unlock the doors from at least 50 ft away. No need to "aim" either.

If you don't need one with a full blown alarm (motion sensors, siren, etc.) they are not too expensive. Mine was $50 at AutoZone with 2 remotes.

I opened the remote and cleaned it with video head cleaner it improved but only in response not in range isnt anyway to improve cause i dont think it was this way when it 1st came out of the factory?
Anybody has a 1st hand Keyless XJ??????????

Yea, not much you can do except replace with an RF keyless unit. I prefer the Crimestopper remote start units. Can lock the doors or start the truck from 300+' away on the 3rd sorry of our building.

Back