• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Paper vs. Foam

braeden

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the market for an intake. My commute is going from 8 minutes to 25, so I want to do everything to try and save some gas. I live at 8000 feet so my engine is already starving for air, so why not start with a new intake? Its dusty up here though, esp in summer. I hear not so good things about K&N and dust. Has anybody tried a foam filter, like a TrueFlow? Can I expect similar performance/mileage gains, or will more airflow always equal more dirt?

===============================
I want to do everything to try and save some gas
===============================

Really, get a small car. Park the jeep.

==============================
I live at 8000 feet so my engine is already starving for air, so why not start with a new intake?
==============================

If you still talking about save gas with a new intake. It's not going to happen. Or any small improvement will never pay for a new intake. (IMO)

============================
I hear not so good things about K&N and dust.
============================

I'M not sure what you meant by that. But I bet 1/5 of the rigs out there running dusty trails use some form of K&N air filters. As fare as I know with no problems.

i built my own intake with a universal honda intake from apc.(iknow,beanerstyle) anyway, the tube was about 2.5 feet long, i cut it off and the bend and put the bend in my throttle body and a K&N cone on the other end, same as the rustys tube, and the K&N tube, but i only spent 20 bucks on the beaner part and the 55 on the K&N. i would buy a K&N, it has a lifetime warranty and they breath the best, you can clean these too, they are reusable unlike the foam. get the K&N

Neither foam or wetted gause filters can approach the arrestance of a quality pleated paper filter...period. Will they move a bit more air? "yes"... Will they filter as well? "no" ... will it really matter? Only if you want your engine to last as long as possible...if you run the blue stinkin' crap outta yer engine...it will most likely blow up on it's own before it dies from inhaled particulates...flip the coin...take yer chances... MY Heep has a high quality paper filter AND a oiled foam PRE-filter.

Back