• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Phil, The Cheap HD231cj begins

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
Phil,
Not only did I get the 231c I needed to start new HD transfer case project (I like to call it a HD231cj) but I didn't even have to pull it out of the truck!!

Cheap and no work!!

For those that are interested,
I tosted my transfercase (the planetary gears are coming apart and one of the main front bearings is completely toasted and gone.

Since I had to replace the planitaries I decided to upgrade to the 6 gear planetaries. And the 231C has both the 6 gear planetaries and the wide chain. I will use these parts along with a HD SYE and a rebuild kit that will replace all of the seals and bearings.

Michael

Nice I am glad that your TC is going to work out and be an upgrade at the sametime. Keep us posted on the ease of this mod. Of course it won't really help me since I have a 242, but am very interested none the less.

Wanted: NV242HD from a 1st Gen Hummer cheap or free ;)

I'd not mind a writeup (with pix, if possible...) - and if you like, I can reformat it and put it up in my Tech Archive as a ready reference (with credit to you, of course!)

I'd like to do something similar, but I'd need to start with a transfer case that I can bolt to an AX-15 or NV3550 - and the AX-15 or NV3550 to bolt it up do (damn Peugeot. I'm on my third now - anyone nearby have one I could have for free for a spare? I'm getting GOOD at changing transmissions!)

5-90

I have an ax-15 I don't need. The 231hd out of some dodge pickups has the wider chain and 6 gear planetary also. I'm doing a similar project now becuase I'm putting a 231 to 231 doubler on along with an AW4 swap this weekend.

I will provide a write up along with the info on the parts and ease of doing this upgrade. I would be more than happy to offer it up to you (5-90) to host, especially for all the info I have gotten from you in the past, it is the least I can do!!

CW. I am curiouse to see how the doubler goes? I know that some of the dodge 231's do also have the 6 planetary and wider chain but I was under the impression that it was harder to figure out which ones to get and the S10 is easy to find:)

Michael

Cool! Go ahead and email it to dragonland2001 AT yahoo DOT com when you're done (no hurry - just make sure to identify it,) and/or PM me to get a reminder of the email addy.

Actually, since my SPAM filter (through Yahoo!) has been going silly lately, when you finally get it done, please PM me the day before you send it, so I know to look through the "Bulk Mail" folder just in case. I'll confirm when I get it, and you'll see it before it goes up...

5-90

Will do.

It will probably be a couple weeks or so, depending on my work/travel schedule and how much time I get under the xj.

Michael

Back