• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 vs. 8.25"?????

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Explain this?I tore the 44 down today,the pinion is way smaller than my 8.25".The pinion shaft is also smaller,other than the axles I'd say why not just get aftermarket axles for the 8.25".

BTW:most of my axle complaints went away after a thorough greasing of my driveshaft!

The D44 isn't that much of an upgrade from an 8.25, if it's a 29 spline 8.25. With alloy 29 spline shafts the 8.25 can handle 35's if you have a light foot. A heavy footed guy can break a D44 on 35's.

Ok ,but Im considering 4.56's,Ive always considered the pinion as the weak link.The 44 axles and carrier are "killer" but the pinion?

I guess some have broken D44 pinions, but I've never seen it. I've seen broken axles, even alloy's, and I broke a D44 ring and pinion. While the D44 pinion isn't the biggest, it doesn't seem to be a common problem. The carrier and housings are pretty stout, and most come with 1/2" thick tubes, so they are not prone to bending.

If you have the dough, and are getting a new locker anyway, the Super 44 kit comes with alloy 33 spline axles. :)

I dont see how I could break the 44 axles,theyre huge compared to my 29splines.But the 8.25 pinion is "huge" compared to the D44!Im going forward just because of my faith in "Dana".

Your right,I just cant get over the difference(s). As I said before I'll take the DANA.

OK.... so am I understanding you guys right? now that I found a D44 for a really good price,a nd I got it sitting in my garage I'm heraing that it's not that much better then my 8,25? if any???

My plan is to build up the d44 with taller gears a locker and disk brakes, redone shock mounts and when it;s all said and done just drop it in under the XJ and then regear the front and be done with it..... now I wonder....

Kejtar

Naw, you heard wrong. The D44 is MUCH better :)

Happy now? There are other advantages to the D44, such as bigger brakes, and a higher pinion, more choices of traction devices (at lower prices), and less noise.

I guess if someone had an 8.25 with 29 splines they don't need to be in a super hurry to swap it out, but once you start throwing money into an axle I'd rather throw it into a Dana 44. I don't plan to modify my 2000 at all, but I have a Dana 44 to put in it (well, okay I guess that is a kod, isn't it?).

Eagle said:
There are other advantages to the D44, such as bigger brakes, and a higher pinion, more choices of traction devices (at lower prices), and less noise.

Also the price of gears is a LOT cheaper for the D44. One can get a Spicer R & P, a quality install kit, and enough oil to last "forever" for about the price of an 8.25 R & P.

The 8.25 is (by some accounts) easier to regear than a Dana axle, but setting up a 44 isnt that hard IMHO...

Some more food for thought!The pinion height is the same.The pinion shaft diameter is 1.326 on the 44 and 1.626 on the 8.25.On my 3.55 gears the actual gear diameter is 3 5/8" on the 44 and 4 1/4" on the 8.25!
BTW:If anyone needs a Trac-lok carrier w/ 3.54 gears!

Last edited:
CheapXJ said:
or a toyota 8"

:D

:D
pic.php

Interesting! How's the Toy axle widthwise? Difficult to bolt on? How about spring perches (no biggie to make new I guess)? Brakes? What toyota is the 8" axle from, is that the axle under the Hilux? Would be nice as this country is full of them...

The helix axles are 55" wms to wms 1979-1985
1986-1995 are 58.5" wms to wms
Tacoma axles are 60" wms to wms and have an 8 1/4" ring gear unless you get one out of a TRD package or any 4 runner then they are the 8" rear typically with the e-locker(TRD )

The axle housing is relativly thin and some of the toy guys rip the perches under hard abuse. Some time in the 80's the housings were reinforced.

The v-6 diffs are strongrer than the 4 cyl diffs

The only problem with the swap is matching the 6 on 5.5" bolt pattern.

The drum brakes are larger than the xj's

there are a few different disc conversion options and front range off road makes a full floater kit with alloy shafts and a disc conversion.

Do a search on pirate4x4.com for lots of great info

Amund2 said:
Interesting! How's the Toy axle widthwise? Difficult to bolt on? How about spring perches (no biggie to make new I guess)? Brakes? What toyota is the 8" axle from, is that the axle under the Hilux? Would be nice as this country is full of them...

Issues that I can think of off the top of my head:

metric brakelines
different e-brake system
perches and shockmounts
U-joint
6on5.5 with metric studs

and my solutions:

reflare lines
haven't figured that out yet, shouldn't be too bad
just make new ones
1310 flange from High Angle Driveline
put a Waggy D44 up front to match pattern

I don't think you could swap a 58.5" Toyota axle (or 55" for that matter) into an XJ because of the spring width. XJ leafs are a bit wider than MJ leafs, and mine are almost touching the e-brake swingarm thingys. would be fine if you don't want the e-brake.

Reasons to do it:

Low factory gears (4.10, 4.30, 4.37, 4.56, 4.88)
Factory electric locker available
D35 clearance
D44 strength
Third member design
tons of aftermarket

Dont forget the pinion shaft is "upstream" of the major gear reduction that comes from the 4.56 gear ratio, it is under a lot less torque than the rest of the axle. Jeep and Dana, it just feels right

Back