• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sealant on water pump gasket?

mike(nj)

NAXJA Forum User
Just replaced the water pump & Radiator.........I haven't added coolant yet but never put sealant on the water pump gasket surfaces. Do you think i'll be ok or should I pull it apart again and add some? I'd hate to add the fluid and have it leak.

I can never get the gaskets to seal right. I usually put a thin layer of RTV on both sides. Of course, I think that my t-stat housing is FUBAR, so take that into consideration.

Been turning wrenches about 20 years, I' learned in the first six weeks not to use silicone on a waterpump gasket and haven't had a comeback since.

Digger87xj said:
Been turning wrenches about 20 years, I' learned in the first six weeks not to use silicone on a waterpump gasket and haven't had a comeback since.

Why? I've always used the cheap gaskets with a light smear of permatex (not silicon), lightly torque, wait an hour for the sealant to set some, and then torque the rest of the way. Haven't had a leak since I started doing that.

lawsoncl said:
Why? I've always used the cheap gaskets with a light smear of permatex (not silicon), lightly torque, wait an hour for the sealant to set some, and then torque the rest of the way. Haven't had a leak since I started doing that.

The factory water pump didn't have it, you don't need it. If your using it to hold the gasket in place fine. But definitely not needed. Especially the whole re-torqueing. I use a spray adhesive on the pump and gasket, stick em together while tacky, line up the holes, let it dry, and bolt it up. Never had a leak in well not 20 yrs. of wrenching, but 6. Not trying to sound rude so I apologize if I do.

I use and have used Indian Head gasket cememt for many many years, light coat on both sides, stick it to the water pump and let it dry a bit. Makes it much easier to install and I've never had one leak...

I work on motorcycle and 95% of the time you never need sealant.......it just makes a mess. I did made sure to really clean the block surface with a razor blade. Thanks for your opinions guys! I'll add some antifreeze and will report back.

None required on a dry gasket. Clean up the surfaces with some scotch-brite, wipe them clean and dry with some brake cleaner sprayed on a rag and install.

Rule is: Dry gasket=no sealer ... adhesive is okay if you're having trouble lining it up. I always put dry gaskets on dry and have for 23 years on all my vechicles and have never had a problem. Also, make sure you don't over-torque the bolts. If the mating surfaces are no longer square (check them with a straight-edge) and you can't get them square, them ditch the dry gasket and use RTV with no other gasket ... but I've not ever had to do this ... perhaps I'm just lucky.

Last edited:
Well, after a month of use, still no leaks! :sunshine: Everything is working like it should and the temp is staying a 210 even pulling the boat. Thanks, Mike

Back