• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner Question

Sam Im Is

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm getting ready to strip the interior on my 89 and do the spray in liner on the floor pan :lickout: . The fabric on the headliner is starting to come down so I went ahead and got new fabric. After the interior panels are removed, does the headliner just drop down or is it glued or attached to the roof in anyway?

There are four metal clips - hooks - holding the liner up...two on each side. You'll see the clips after the plastic trim is removed. Remove the plastic trim starting from the back of the Jeep and work forward. Use a thin screwdriver under each clip to unhook it from the frame...push up! There are two holes that the clip can go into...just take note what hole is used for each clip.

Also a there are two velcro pads about four inches long that attach the front of the head liner just above the windshield. They are located about center of each seat. I don't know how critical they are...I think they are there more for factory assembly then anything else, but make sure you free them before pulling on the headliner.

Also it's recommended to at least resin coat the headliner as you'll find it has become brittle over the ages and the resin will stiffen it up and provide a smooth solid surface. Even if you cover in fabric I'd recomend resin and fiberglass fabric.

Here's my project I did last year.

http://homepage.mac.com/johnvito/PhotoAlbum37.html

Just a couple of tips that might help you. First, try to get all of the old foam off of the headliner shell before you try to glue the new fabric on. After all, that is what makes them droop in the first place. I used a shop vac with a brush attachment, but there were a couple of spots that were stubborn and I used a scrub brush, carefully. When I got around to applying the fabric, I put on rubber gloves which made it easier to form the material into the shell. Without gloves my fingers kept getting caught in the material causing bunching/wrinkles. Also, don't forget to leave enough material at the front to fold it up over the shell. There is no trim there so you have to fold it up over to give a nice edge. The sides and back can just be trimmed flush as they are hidden under trim anyway. Hope this helps, good luck!

Back