• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seeping differential

lagoss

NAXJA Forum User
Please forgive this TJ-er, but I don't know where else to turn; I'd appreciate any help you could give me or direct me to.

As the subject indicates, my Wrangler has a little leak where the right axle housing is press-fitted into the differential.

First, do you think there any danger the axle will separate from the diffy and fall off onto the road? And second, what besides replacing the $1500 assembly can I do to stop the seeping? A bead weld maybe?

Thanks much for your forbearance and helpn tis matter.

Lynn A Goss

Do you take this TJ off-road or is it a street vehicle?

Do you have any warrenty left on it?

How much and how fast is it leaking?

Hi Scott Mac,

First of all, thanks for replying.

1) Rarely off-road. The last time was in May on a dirt road where the ruts were evidently/possibly deeper than the 8" clearance my diffy has. I never felt if bottom out, but the next day, when I stopped for an oil change, I saw the leak (it was fresh) on the diffy.

2) No warranty, unfortunately.

3) It's not leaking enough to even drip (yet). It's just a seep right now. My Jeep dealer advised me to check the diffy fluid level at each oil change, but I don't like the fact that it's leaking, and wonder when it'll suddenly get worse.

Thanks again for your time on this matter.

- Lynn A Goss

my mom's 8.25's on Both her XJ's always did that, never on any of my D35's though. Anyway we never did anything about fixing it and it never hurt anything, i just figured jeeps always leak :)

eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for replying. I guess, unless someone tells me the rear end might drop off, I'll just keep an eye on it. I still don't like teh idea of a leak though.

- LAG

Jeeps don't leak, they just mark their territory :)

There's no danger of the axle falling off. However, I don't have enough experience to tell you how to fix it, others here may have more on the subject...

Back