• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for the RENIX experts?

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm getting ready to put a used engine in my 90' XJ. Can I use a H.O. head and just transfer the intake/exhaust/EFI etc. or do I have to use the RENIX head?

Also will any year model block/head work, as long as I use all of my RENIX sensors, distributor, brackets, intake/exhaust, flexplate etc.?

My 90' RENIX head may still be good but I'm not sure and I would probably wan't to rebuild it to use(it may need to be magnafluxed). I'd rather not do this if I don't have to.

I'm in the process of putting a '91 HO engine into my '87. I had it running (albeit like crap), but now it won't start. Haven't even started to diagnose that yet...something else went. I've been told that the Renix manifolds won't match up with a HO head, but the Renix head will work fine on an HO block. Of course, I haven't confirmed nor disproven this myself, I just swapped in the whole HO engine, head, manifolds, and all.

So yes, it is possible. I've had to kind of make my own TPS using parts from both the Renix and Chryco units, I suspect this was the problem with it running badly (idled fine, stuttered and choked when given gas), because I never got around to adjusting it properly.

Other than that, you'll have to reuse all of the Renix sensors, the Renix coolant temp sensor is on the side of the block, but it will work fine in the Tstat housing that the 91+ HO engines use...the thread is the same and you can just pull the wire up. The flywheel/flex plate, CPS, distributor, MAP, O2, and ignition system from the Renix must also be used. You'll also have to use an exhaust downpipe from a HO engine, as the Renix and HO manifolds exit at completely different angles. Also, you'll have to make fuel lines to work with the HO fuel rail, this is actually easier than it sounds, I just used hose clamps and some rubber fuel hose.

I had to use some zip ties to get the Renix throttle cable to work with the HO throttle body...maybe one of these days I'll get around to finding a more permanent solution (HO throttle cable maybe?).

Another minor thing, the intake hoses from the throttle body to air cleaner are different between the Renix and HO. I havent even tried to tackle this one yet, I guess I'll have to go to a junkyard and pull an airbox from a HO.

Thanks anony91xj, But I'm going in a little bit different direction from you. I would really like to use the RENIX since I am trying to restore this 90' to original, or close any way!

This jeep was my dad's last jeep before he died, and after looking all over VA for it, I finally found it heading for the scrapyard and saved it. The motor has 2 cracked pistons, but the headgasket was good. I hope the head didn't crack and cause all of the A/F in the cylinders but I'm not sure.
I would hope some one out there could enlighten me as to what I should try to do for the swap.
Go full H.O. long block with my RENIX stuff or short block and a RENIX head and RENIX stuff?

Looking for info here!

the Renix manifolds will not bolt up to an HO head without some work. If you want it to be a bolt on affair you'll need to bolt the Renix head onto the HO block. The Renix head will bolt on with no problems. The only thing you need to check on your donor HO block if for the threaded hole on the side for the knock sensor. As far as I know the casting is there, but the later blocks didn't have the hole drilled and tapped.

Back