• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Lifts - Actual Heights???

XJBandit

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I am putting together an RE 3.5" lift (front coils/rear packs). I am wondering if anyone can tell me from their experience(s) what the actual lift gain is for the 3.5" and the 4.5" coils/leafs, as I have heard that these lifts are very under rated, and that I can expect at least 4.5" of lift out of a 3.5" kit front and rear, and over 6" of lift with the 4.5" package.

I am currently running ACOS in the front, and a 1" rear shackle in the back that I plan to keep. The ACOS measure 1.75" fully compressed, and I have been told that the rear packs are actually good for 5" lift and settle a bit after that.

I also have an ARB with a 9000lb winch up front, so I am guestimating that I will end up with a solid 6" in the front, and roughly 5.75" to 6" in the back which is right where I want to be...solid 6". Does this sound about right?? Would I be better to scrap the shakles and get the 4.5" pack in the back?? Has anyone installed a similar package?? Please let me know,

Cheers

thats a heavy bumper and winch you have up front, so i'm guessing your 3.5" coils wont give you 4.5" of lift, but you do have ACOS, so you can just adjust it so it sits where you want it. As far as the rear...you have that shackle in the rear, i'd go with the shorter leaf pack. the 3.5" leaf pack with a shackle will give the same lift and flex better than the 4.5" leaf pack on its own. Unless, of course, you think that the 3.5" leaf pack and the 1" shackle will settle below 6" in the rear. In that case, i'd go with the 4.5" leaf and the shackle, if you carry a lot of junk in the rear, a full size spare, aftermarket bumper, etc. Good luck.

Kenny

My 4.5" with stock bumpers is netting me 5"-5.5" up front 6" in the rear and thats with about 8k on it.

Last edited:
I agree with Kenny. Go with the 4.5 leaf pack and extended shackle in back. This gave me almost 6.5" lift and has not settle much at all after 2 years. I am planning on putting a rear bumper with swing arm and 32x11.5 inch tire on the back so that will compress the leafs a little more but I think it will still be 6" of lift. For the front I woudl go with the 4.5" coils and keep your ACOS for sure with that winch and bumper.

I have a 3.5" leaf pack with the RE 1.25 extended shackle and it sits about 5 to 5.25". The 4.5 RE coils are right at 4.75 with no winch or aftermarket bumper on them.

2001XJ said:
I agree with Kenny. Go with the 4.5 leaf pack and extended shackle in back. This gave me almost 6.5" lift and has not settle much at all after 2 years. I am planning on putting a rear bumper with swing arm and 32x11.5 inch tire on the back so that will compress the leafs a little more but I think it will still be 6" of lift. For the front I woudl go with the 4.5" coils and keep your ACOS for sure with that winch and bumper.

It should be, my 3.5" packs and shackle are a solid 6" easy, I ca nrun 35s fine on my lift. :thumbup:

00XJFAN said:
I have a 3.5" leaf pack with the RE 1.25 extended shackle and it sits about 5 to 5.25". The 4.5 RE coils are right at 4.75 with no winch or aftermarket bumper on them.

Pic of your XJ on flat ground?

I put the 3.5" leafs on the back of mine and got close to 5" at first, they settled in to about 4.5". If I were you, I'd run the 3.5" packs w/ the shackle, mine didn't flex at all w/o an extended shackle. Now I've got the RC 1.5-2.5" shackle and they flex very nice. Probably sitting right under 6" in the rear w/ tools, spares, and tire in the back. You may want to go with a 1.5" shackle in the rear, you'll be right at 6". With the 1" shackle, you'll probably be just over 5". Which isn't a bad thing in my book, I like the front to sit a little higher than the rear anyway. Gives it a kinda "stadium truck" look instead of jacked up hot rod jeep look.

My 4.5 RE lift is sitting at 6.5" right now. But that's without the engine, tranny, or T-case in it (I'm slowly rebuilding them). I'm sure I'll loose at least an inch under the grunt of the weight.

My RE 3.5 rears are paired up with a set of Tera 1.5 shackles on a slightly taller than stock perch. The front is RE 4.5 with 1.25" of spacers. I'm at about 6 inches all the way around with the rig loaded.

I have a spare mounted on the floor in back and the rear seat is out with everything else, tools, shafts, parts, etc mounted behind the front seats on the floor. The weight distribution is fairly well balanced and there hasn't been any sign of settling after 6 months of road and trail driving.

Back