• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OC Shooting Ranges

Firing line in HB allows up to .45 fmj, no rifle rounds, but you can shoot shotguns ( with thier ammo only). Im due to renew my membership there.

That is wierd, the .44mag has much more velocity than .45apc, wonder why they would allow one and not the other. Sorry, no help to the original post, just thinking aloud.

Skullvarian said:
That is wierd, the .44mag has much more velocity than .45apc, wonder why they would allow one and not the other. Sorry, no help to the original post, just thinking aloud.
well, the more I look at it, it's weird cause
House Range Rules
We have many safety rules that are there for your protection. There are a few rules that are specific to our range. Please note that the tactical range has special information, for which you must discuss with our range masters on duty.

Only our targets may be used.
All rental guns must be used with our ammo only.
No Wolf brand or steel core ammo.
Pistol calibers (and rifles shooting pistol calibers) from .22 to .44 Magnum on the Public Range. Consult our range masters for wildcat rounds.
Shotguns and some rifle calibers may be handled on the Tactical Range with approval. Consult with the range masters prior to coming down to our range.
but below they talk about 45's

Gun Rental
If you are looking for a firearm, one of the most important things you can do, is to experience how that firearm works. That is why EGSW has a wide range of rental guns available for the public. With every major caliber of Heckler & Koch and Glock (9mm, .40, .45), as well as every size in Glock (sub-compact, compact, full), you will have a chance to experience one of the firearms of choice for most law enforcement agencies in the size that you need. Click here or read below for rental fees and details.
http://www.egsw.com/range.htm

You'll be fine with your .45.

Remi, I would highly recommend taking a basic pistolcraft course. One, to become familiar with your weapon, two, to become familiar with California's nest of gun laws, especially those concerning the transportation of said firearms. I also encourage you to join the NRA and CRPA.

karstic said:
You'll be fine with your .45.

Remi, I would highly recommend taking a basic pistolcraft course. One, to become familiar with your weapon, two, to become familiar with California's nest of gun laws, especially those concerning the transportation of said firearms. I also encourage you to join the NRA and CRPA.
Thanks for the suggestion: I'm actually planning on doing that as well as taking a CCW course.

Gun Range Rules said:
Pistol calibers (and rifles shooting pistol calibers) from .22 to .44 Magnum on the Public Range. Consult our range masters for wildcat rounds.
Shotguns and some rifle calibers may be handled on the Tactical Range with approval. Consult with the range masters prior to coming down to our range.

Remi,

Read that over again. It states RIFLES shooting pistol calibers are allowed. IE: .22 to .44 Magnum. All handguns are fine.

-Mike

Mike L said:
Remi,

Read that over again. It states RIFLES shooting pistol calibers are allowed. IE: .22 to .44 Magnum. All handguns are fine.

-Mike
Hmm the first part saying Pistol Calibers kind of throws me off though ;) but it might be just a matter of phrasing.

so when and where are we going shooting?

Kejtar said:
Hmm the first part saying Pistol Calibers kind of throws me off though ;) but it might be just a matter of phrasing.
Yeah .45s are fine. Much less power than a .44 mag.

Kyung

corbinafly said:
Yeah .45s are fine. Much less power than a .44 mag.

Kyung

Yes but a heavier bullet with more stopping power. Great for personnal defense. In home defense I say shotgun with dbl ought buck. Aim for the balls.

A

99xjache said:
Yes but a heavier bullet with more stopping power. Great for personnal defense. In home defense I say shotgun with dbl ought buck. Aim for the balls.

A
I agree, but we're refering to the allowable loads at ranges for safety reasons (ie, ricochet hazards).

Kyung

And just for clarification, I was refering to .45 acp rounds vs. .44 mag.

corbinafly said:
I agree, but we're refering to the allowable loads at ranges for safety reasons (ie, ricochet hazards).

Kyung

And just for clarification, I was refering to .45 acp rounds vs. .44 mag.

So was I. The 44 mag has a higher muzzle felocity than the acp. Lighter bullet with greater accuracy at a slightly longer range too.. Probably a greater risk of ricochet than a 45.
I have this knack for stating the obvious.

A

99xjache said:
Yes but a heavier bullet with more stopping power.

A

Huh? The 45acp usually ranges from 185gr (in hollow points) to 230gr for FMJ. The 44mag is 180 for hollow points and up to 240gr for for FMJ and JSP. Toss in the 50% more muzzle velocity and the physics disagree with you on stopping power.

Now if you want to talk about "useable energy on a person size target"; yes, the 44mag tends to over-penetrate for that purpose.

BBurge

i go to firing line all the time. there are a few good outdoor ranges that i like to go to as well. Azusa is good, shooting trap is fun at san gabriel valley gun club. but they are a bit further.

99xjache said:
In home defense I say shotgun with dbl ought buck.

Meh, #4 buckshot is my preference for home. Less wall penetration but still plenty of poop to knock out the BG. If they're behind cover then you break out the slugs. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
Meh, #4 buckshot is my preference for home. Less wall penetration but still plenty of poop to knock out the BG. If they're behind cover then you break out the slugs. ;)
I ended up getting the low recoil 9 pellet ammo for the home. And well... slugs are in the other cabinet :D

ECKSJAY said:

Yep - #4 Buck is damn near ideal for home defense. Little worry about secondary penetration, nice spread at short range (even if you're running an IC or Modified choke) and each pellet still has good knockdown power at the "arm's length" ranges you run into in your house.

5/8" wallboard will slow it down significantly, it will probably stop in an exterior wall or in the next room's wall. A shorty 12gage with #4B is just about THE choice for someone who has not practised much.

For pistols, I'll take .45ACP over just about anything else. 9m/m has trouble with overpenetration (documented - check police-involved shootings) and .40S&W is still a little spendy. .45 ammo can still be found on the surplus market, which allows for a good deal of practise. Government hardball is a 230-grain pill, which makes it easy to transition to my very favourite load - .45ACP 230-grain Hydra-Shok (easier to find and cheaper than Glaser Safety Slugs.)

If you're more comfortable with a wheelgun, Hydra-Shok is also available in about a 180-grain load for .357. I think it's "downloaded" slightly in speed to reduce overpenetration in misses, but it don't overpenetrate on hits!

Slugs are overkill for home defense, and with the jangling nerves you're likely to have, you're better off with #4 buckshot anyhow - it increases your potential for a hit, while reducing damage from misses.

5-90

5-90 said:
Yep - #4 Buck is damn near ideal for home defense. Little worry about secondary penetration, nice spread at short range (even if you're running an IC or Modified choke) and each pellet still has good knockdown power at the "arm's length" ranges you run into in your house.

5/8" wallboard will slow it down significantly, it will probably stop in an exterior wall or in the next room's wall. A shorty 12gage with #4B is just about THE choice for someone who has not practised much.

For pistols, I'll take .45ACP over just about anything else. 9m/m has trouble with overpenetration (documented - check police-involved shootings) and .40S&W is still a little spendy. .45 ammo can still be found on the surplus market, which allows for a good deal of practise. Government hardball is a 230-grain pill, which makes it easy to transition to my very favourite load - .45ACP 230-grain Hydra-Shok (easier to find and cheaper than Glaser Safety Slugs.)

If you're more comfortable with a wheelgun, Hydra-Shok is also available in about a 180-grain load for .357. I think it's "downloaded" slightly in speed to reduce overpenetration in misses, but it don't overpenetrate on hits!

Slugs are overkill for home defense, and with the jangling nerves you're likely to have, you're better off with #4 buckshot anyhow - it increases your potential for a hit, while reducing damage from misses.

5-90

well said:D Got a deal on #2 buck, no kids as of yet, not as worried about secondary, but your point was taken on #4. I'll be picking some up @ the next show.

A

#2 buck also works fairly well - but it takes an exterior wall to slow it down significantly. The idea behind using something that won't go out of the house is not only to protect other occupants, but also to protect your neighbours (if they live close enough to you.)

At least my kids have moved out (finally!) which gets them out of what's left of my hair. Unfortunately, the next generation is going to be underway next month...

5-90

Back