• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Need $1.50 part (spindle nut retainer) ?

klonestar

NAXJA Forum User
And NAPA says its a stealership part and stealership says its a "Do Not Service" part! WTF????

This is the simple retainer that goes over the outer axle spindle nut. The one that has bent over tines and a cotter pin goes in to hold the nut on. The stealership even said the cotter pin is a "Do Not Service" item! lol

Called a different stealer and will have two of em wednesday! @ $4.70 each! Still gotta go to NAPA for the cotter pins though. Jeez!!!!

What a crock!

I'm sorry that dealer "Service Only" items upset you. Both items you refer to are considered "throw away" by most service shops. It's a matter of safety and liability to them. While "we" may reuse them because "we" are taking the responsibilty, I've seen a few too many fail after reuse.

Since you had to replace them, then you already know that they don't last. Purchase a cotter pin kit from Harbour Freight for about $9.00 and they will last many years.

The unfortunate part is that the retainers ARE available from many NAPA stores. It usually takes a good counter man to know where to find the book and order accordingly. I usually buy 1/2 dozen at a time and I think the last time I got them they cost about $2.00 ea.

While I agree that many shops consider these throw away parts, if someone other than yourself lost the retainer, I'd go back to the shop and give them hell for not replacing it. Let them eat the $4.70. Throw away means replace with new, not omit. The cotter pin is a one-use item, but the retainer is not. I had a ball joint done years ago and the shop pulled this on me. I made them find it and put it back.

Of course if you just accidentally lost it, disregard the above.

At least two of mine are dead. One crumbled to rust dust and the other is close to that. The dealership parts guy was interpeting "do not service" as "part unavailable".

I will have NAPA check their Doorman cat. so I can get some extras for the rear as well.

Thanks.
Ken

Back