• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Repair/Fix wet TPS

I read that, did it actually dry up a short caused by condensation?
Is it just a variable resistor/reastat inside, or is there some kind of active circuitry?

That didn't work at all.
I bought a new one at Pep Boys for $59 and it shifts and runs ok now.
By the way, the one I had on before had about 1000 miles on it. It's been parked for 6 months.
It is now dying when I take off every once in a while though. I'm not sure why. It ran fine a month ago before it sat out in the rain. (Lebaron Vents Installed)
That makes me wonder. What else could have been damaged by the rain?

I guess it would depend on how long it was wet, then...

Mail the old one to me, please, if you haven't disposed of it yet. I'd like to find out what's going on, and it would be a guinea pig for other experiments I've got in mind.

The only think I can think of that might have gotten wet and been a problem would the the IAC (Idle Air Controller) and maybe the distributor on the other side. The ditributor usually dries out fairly quickly and easily, tho.

I've been kicking around the idea of LeBaron vents as well, but I'd want to put baffle in to keep things from getting too wet. Haven't figured out how to do that yet - I need to get a set of vents, first.

5-90

I think I may have come up with a way to baffle the vents, Now I just have to do it. I'll have to post some pics when I get it done.

It's hard to convince my wife that I need to spend time on the Heep when I'm in the middle of remodeling the living room in my house.

I actually had planned on cutting open and doing some testing on the TPS myself. There's got to be a better explination as to why these stupid things can't handle a little moisture.

Boy, you would never want to try a deep water crossing with a Renix motor, even with a snorkel.

I just thought that I would post an update for those who are interested.
The stumbling and dying I had off idle was a misadjusted TPS. It wasn't getting enough fuel right off the bat, and would die.
It actually stopped starting after I messed around with the sensor connections. It turns out that they don't like to have their CPS sensor disconnected while they are running. After disconnecting and connecting it a few times it started right up and ran fine.
So, I guess what I am trying to say is that my only problem was a bad TPS, and then a misadjusted TPS. (I even followed the instructions) It worked better to adjust it manually while it was running.

Back