• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3in lift

mikey mags

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2000 xj classic and i was looking into putting a 3in lift on it...does anyone know for sure if i will need to change my driveshaft to avoid vibration, or can i just get away with putting a transfer case drop.....

I've got a 3" lift on my XJ and 1.5" shakles in the rear, I had to modify the rear driveshaft because when I went to put it into 4x4 it would vibrate. But I haven't had any major problems because I only use it for mild trails. If ur gonna build ur rig for mild to more extreme trails then I would go with either a t-case drop or a longer driveshaft. Also ur front driveshaft will be effected a lot especially in 4x4 mode so make sure that u take that into account when u lift ur rig. Oh and from experience ur stock swaybar will not reach it's original bolt on points. The same with ur trackbar, u will need to get an adjustable one. If u have any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck,

Mike

.......you see now I really have a dilemma.

Well, there is a little guy in white standing on my right shoulder that wants me to tell you that you may be able to get by with just a T-case drop for very mild driving habits, but if you think about going any higher than 3" or plan on doing any "extreme trails" you better go ahead and get yourself a slip yoke eliminator & a DC driveshaft with a slip-yoke within the shaft....especially on anything newer than 95. And yes, you will at least need a track bar relocation bracket, and possibly a track bar too.

BUT!!! there is also this other little fella on my left in red, that wants me to tell you that if your gonna build your rig especially for extreme trails to just go ahead and get the T-case drop an bolt up a new driveshaft to it and you should be fine. And that you'll probablly need to extend your front driveshaft also.

So, you can do a couple of things go ahead and believe which ever little guy you'd like. (i'd prob go with white) or just search...cause this gets covered tons. and I'm even a noob myself.

Try the T-case drop if you want a cheap or temporary fix it may work for you, it worked on my 2000 at 3" until I bought a SYE and driveshaft. The prefered option is to get a SYE and appropriate rear driveshaft to go with it. It's stonger than the stock setup and easier to dial out vibrations. At 3" you wont have to worry about a new front driveshaft and if you can put up with the front axle not being centered you can stick with the stock trac bar as well.

To do it all properly this is what you'd need

SYE and DC driveshaft
Longer rear brakline
Longer front brakelines (or relocate the bracket down slightly)
Longer swaybar links or disconnects
Possibly adjustable lower control arms or maybe shim them out.
Shims to adjust the rear pinion angle up slightly (search for details)
Adjustable tracbar (or redrill the axle mount if you really must)

Cheers
Steve

What's ur budget like? Cause once u start modifying ur rig u just can't stop. It's that little fella in the red on all of our shoulders that tells us, Oooh, look what he's got on his rig, we should have that on ours. Then u end up with a 6" lift on 35's and ur wondering to urself how the hell did I get myself into this. Do some searching and see what best suits ur needs. Some guys build there rigs to crawl rocks, some for mud and other's for extreme trail use. Pick a lift that's in ur budget and cement the base for what u want to accomplish then afterwards start trying different things to make ur rig better.

Like I said before just ask and there are probably a ton of guys that will tell u what they done, but its best to find out urself.

Later,

Mike

I put on a RE 3.5" lift with my 2000 and had my u joints almost binding. Bought a transfer case drop kit and said to myself, why the hell do I want to lower my TC when I just spent so much money to gain ground clearance. So finally I just coughed up the money for the SYE and new shaft and was done with it. Maybe the 1" drop would have helped. Maybe not. I don't know because I never used it.

Back