• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sway bar trouble

Gnat5680

NAXJA Forum User
so i am puting on a poor mans diconnect using the tine pins and clips but i have a problem with the sway bar.

does the sway bar have pressure on the bolt on the axle when it is sitting flat on the ground?

i can not get the bolt to come out no matter what i hit it with. is it just stuck or what?

here is what im doing====>http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/budgetdisconnects/index.htm
i am aware that he is on a tj but there is a guy on here who did it with his xj.

thanks for the help!

I'm one of the guys that have one on my XJ and your bolt is probably rusted in place. I shot mine with PB for a few days and was able to bust it out with very little force. It doesn't need to be jacked up or anything. Spray it and give it a go.

DO NOT hit with a hammer you'll only bend your brackets. Get a pitman arm puller, its difficult to get it to fit but you can make it work. Mines a 94 and after alot of PB blaster and a "BFH" all I did was bend the crap out of the brackets. A tierod puller might work even better, I think there a bit smaller.

i got bored today and decided to do the same kind of disconnects.

a while ago i had replaced that pressed in bolt with a standard grade 8 nut/bolt and when i went to take the nut off, the pressed in torx bolt just spun in the mount so i tapped it out with a hammer.

i am now succesfully sway bar free. i went to my colleges shop to work on it and my instructor said i should losen the nut on top (the one holding the rubber gromet thingys) and after heating it with an torch it just twisted the bolt and POP right off. so now i have no way to hook up my sway bar and i am now driving without it.

FYI: the sway bar torx bolt is pessed in and has a star like pattern holding it in. heat up the bracket and hit it with a BFH or an air hammer/chisel. becareful not to break the bracket.

Back