• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?? Mystery plugs ??

RedFive

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so I bought an 87 4.0L XJ from my bro. I should start by saying he didn't take much care of it near the end and I'm finding a lot of "rigged-up" wiring, etc. I'm in the process of bringing it back to life and cleaning it up. This Sunday I was tooling around on it and found two "mystery" plugs, both on the passanger side of the vehicle under the hood. Can someone identify these?

Pic 1: Not very good focus but you get the point. The connector in the center of the picutre has a black wire coming and going, but the questions I have are a) why would the red wire for this connector be cut, b) where does this connector come from and c) here you can see that the wire runs to the black cannister on the firewall...what's the canister (part of the vent system)?
71fbscd.jpg

Pic 2: Found the female end of a bullet-type connector and wasn't able to find the male end. Please help with the following a) what is this yellow plug for, and b) where's the male end suppossed to be at?
6a6bscd.jpg

Pic 4: Same as pic 3.
225fscd.jpg

Thanks to all that try to lend a hand in advance. I have no clue what these two plugs are for, how critical they are, or where they go.

Tony in San Jose

Last edited:
That "cannister" is the blower motor. I will try to look up the wires in my FSM tomorrow. It looks like the + wire of the motor was tapped into for something or bypassed that connector. Do all the blower functions work correctly?

Yurf. Sounds like you're in for a fun time...

Pillage around, and see what other "mystery plugs" you can find. I should be available this week-end to help you track them down - I've got to go to Livermore one afternoon to pick up an engine and some goodies, but I don't know which day (yet.)

I'll be around the other day (probably working in the garage) and you can come over and pick my brains and my 1990 FSM if you feel the need to. You can't take either one with you :)rattle:,) but you can see if we can figure out what's going on under there.

By the way - if that black "cannister" in the picture is what and where I think it is (under the football?) it's the blower fan motor - you'll need that if you run your vents! Does your vent fan actually work?

5-90

Hey thanks guys! Yeah the blower works fine but then it again the pressure from the vents drops when I accelerate (drop in vacumme pressure...which is what I was actually working on when I found those mystery plugs...I was looking for a cracked hose or some other leak). Yeah, actually now that I look at pic 1, the connector does look bypassed....I'm gonna' have to take a second look a this.

5-90: Thanks for offering to take a look in your FSM (factory service manual?)...don't kill yourself but if something pops out at you I'd like to hear it. Most likely I'm just going to have to keep digging around.

I'll let you know how it goes and if I need to stop by.

I'll keep it kicking around, but I'm a little leery of guessing to begin with - I really don't like guessing about underhood electrics! That's part of the reason I was offering to look at it (if you can get it over here) - then I can trace things out, and I'm not guessing anymore. Besides, if those are the obvious hack jobs, I shudder to think what else might be going on under there...

5-90

Back