• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On a road trip - oil level issues

ebishop

NAXJA Forum User
Saturday I left on a 600 mile road trip. Just before I left i checked all fluids and found for some reason the oil was high. I replaced the filter and that brought the level back to a good level as checked in a garage. I have no idea how too much oil made it in since I only buy 6 quarts to change it, and never use all of it. So I drive a couple hundred miles, check the level and it is fine, drive to my destination, check the level and it is high again. I just drove another 50 miles and now the level is ok. Question is, high much difference does the level, or lack thereof, of your vehicle make in checking oil level? The times I have checked it is possible the truck was angled slightly back, but not by much at all. Of course the back is loaded so it is tipped back naturally anyways.

Thanks,

Eric

Well, there has been no level change in coolant that I can tell, but I will be checking that more closly when I get home. There is no greenish tinge to the oil on the dipstick, and I cannot smell coolant on it, how obvious is it when it is coolant in the oil? I have been worried about a cracked head the whole way down.

Eric

Oil is a lightish to dark brown and appears normal color given it is mobile-1 synthetic changed not too long ago. No bubbles are visible. There is no overwhelming odor of gas that i can detect.

The first check when it was high was in my driveway, first thing in the morning, jeep had not been started. Second check after changing filter was on the level road in front of my house, driven about 30 feet, last check before leaving was in my girlfriends garage, jeep driven about 2 miles. Then it was right after driving through half of NY and PA, level was fine, then it was next checked after sitting the night, level was high, I am just checking it now after driving 70 miles, level is fine, that is why I am thinking it is the way the jeep is sitting.

Eric

The first oil filter in there had sat ovenight and came out full of oil, both filters were NAPA Gold.

Back