• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
On a RE 4.5 inch lift stock gears would 31 inch rubbers give me better/worse/same MPG? For a daily driver what does anyone recomend for brand. Not many rocks here, just mud and trails.
thanks

We need a question to answer.
MPG better or worse than what?

4.5" lift, 31's and stock tires is ok, mpg should be ok, not a huge change from bone stock.

tires depends on the purpose of the truck on and off road.
What trails you doing? What is your commute like? do you drive in the snow during the winter?

The NW provides wet roots, much more difficult than many other types of terrain!!

Michael

Yeah im in washington to. So going up the passes to snowboard, mud. i dont know. havnt been in washington too long just got to ft lewis last fall. do you think i should go up to 32?

If your going to be going up and down the mountains alot, you probably will have a hard time without regearing. I'd stick to 30-31's, and go to 32-33's after get you some 4.11-4.56's. It's one thing asking your jeep to push 31's on 3.55's on the highway, another to ask it to do so up a mountain.

If you have to ask, it is NOT a do it yourself job. Gears is the ONLY thing on my jeep i have someone else do.

Look for someone from the club in your area that works with gears, thats the best price your going to find. Locally you can get both axles geared for about $800 if you shop around some, for parts and labor. You can have the rear done, save money and have the front done a while later, as long as you do not attempt to put it in four wheel drive in the meantime.. trust me, that would not go well. :)

If you do reagear go 33s atleast.

well on a 4.5" lift i put 32"s stock and had no rubb. i now have 35's with the same lift but fender trimming, they say mojor i honestly dont think i did that much at all. anways if there is mud and not much rock but ocasioncl rock i would go the dayton Timberline M'Ts if you dont mind the noise. they are pretty noisy but i ran the rubicon with those tires and 31's o be exact all i had was a rear locker those tires and a 4.5" lift and thetires gribbed my way through pretty much. so Honestly the dayton Timberline M/T's or the Baja Widetrack M/T's same tire different name just so they can sell them more expensively. still priced fairly decent. they come with side bitters as well as the 3 ply sidewall much like the "EXPENSIVE" tire. your choice.

It may have the same sidewall rating..

but its hard to beat an MT/R.

There are tires out there for specialized purposes (creepy's on the rocks, boggers in the soup, bfg at's on the street, etc) but for an all around tire, you will not find something better.

My second choice in a tire would be BFG M/T's. I'd be sure to buy a good warantee with them, though.

well honestly BFG's suck on the street i worked at a tire store for my whole carrear working or tires and basic mechanic shit. and BFG's are known for crap on the street always end up shaking and wobbiling

I've had two sets of BFG AT's and two sets of MT's.

The AT's were always great on the highway.

One set of MT's was wonderfull, the other sucked. The difference? The set that were great was rotated regularly. :)

an as well if you go to ANY good tire place they will NOT sell you a warranty on top of the tire sale due to the fact that it is a lifted vehicle... and by spending the money on tires they want to screw you. TRUST me i have see it done hundreds of times..

SUA SPONTE said:
On a RE 4.5 inch lift stock gears would 31 inch rubbers give me better/worse/same MPG? For a daily driver what does anyone recomend for brand. Not many rocks here, just mud and trails.
thanks

Iam running 31's with the stock 3.55 gears, my MPG dropped from 17/21 mpg (city/highway) to 14/17 when I went up to them from 30's.

Smittty9785 said:
BFG's are known for crap on the street always end up shaking and wobbiling
Thats what my KO's are starting to do.
Iam going back to Coopers when the BFG's wear out.
I have not been as happy with the BFG's as I have all the years I have run Cooper's.

coppers are not bad other than the sidewalls being paper thin. but i have a set of 35's BFG's on my rig now and damn rotate every 500 miles and do what ever i can too make the shake go away. but what do you know the second i swapped tires and tested another brand the shake went away. too ad the 35's were free so i kept them...

Smittty9785 said:
an as well if you go to ANY good tire place they will NOT sell you a warranty on top of the tire sale due to the fact that it is a lifted vehicle... and by spending the money on tires they want to screw you. TRUST me i have see it done hundreds of times..

Interesting. The local tire stores will sell them with new ones, or even sell them on USED tires. I can bring a tire in with 9 plugs in the sidewall, a giant piece of twig inside the tire, rockrash everywhere on my lifted jeep with rock damage, and all they ask was "was it fun?" as they hand me a new 35" MT/R.

I bought "no question replacement" warantees on 5 315/75/16 MT/R's last week for $130 total, and have already had one tire replaced on it with no questions.

Maybe you should go to a better tire store. :)

no thats just stupid on that tie store part. even the firestone/bridgestone reps that i have had lunch with recc. never replace a tire on a offroad vehicle because firestone/bridgstone WILL NOT replace that tire so actually thak that tire store for buying you a new tire. they lost money not you or firestone/bridgestone..

as for the origional question, please!, with 31's regearing would not only be a waste of time because obviously if your not lookin to go big on tires ur not lookin to go big on the trail (not an insult of any sort) so regearing would lower your gas milage, which seems to be your main concern. in actuality, on the highway you may even see an increase in mpg due to the larger radius tire (math, larger radius, larger circumferance, more distance covered per rotation at constant speed) but may also see a decrease during local driving. 31's ll be fine fer wheelin and daily driving, dont werry about regearing till 33's if you want all of your torque back

Smittty9785 said:
no thats just stupid on that tie store part. even the firestone/bridgestone reps that i have had lunch with recc. never replace a tire on a offroad vehicle because firestone/bridgstone WILL NOT replace that tire so actually thak that tire store for buying you a new tire. they lost money not you or firestone/bridgestone..

Don't buy firestone/bridgestone tires then? ;)

Back