• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front lower lights

Mike from Chile

NAXJA Forum User
I own a XJ classik year 2000 4 doors.
In Chile this model did not come with the stock complementary lightning (below the bumper); it just have the molded hole to cut and install hella or any other brand.
What is the original lightning supplied?
Are there fog lights or long distance?

Thanks

They are fog lights. There is no "brand" -- they were made by (or for) DaimlerChrysler and available only from Jeep. They were optional on all models.

The factory wiring allows the fog lights to operate with the parking lights and with the low-beam headlights, but not with high beams. This is a legal requirement in the USA.

The factory fogs are constructed kind of weird and they fit in the cutout openings, they are also not that good for lighting.
Hella, IPF, CIBIE all make much better lights. I run the hella 450's and they fit right in the same spot but are not recessed.
As far as wiring goes, none of it is in place. If you look in the power distribution center, passenger side between the battery and firewall, you will see two blank socket holes for fog light relays, look closer and you will see that there are no relay sockets under there. Jeep has an aftermarket wiring kit that has a new switch panel that replaced your old one and has an extra hole for the fog light switch. It also has a couple of relays and it all pretty much goes inside, it leaves ONE yellow wire that you feed thru the firewall for trigging an external relay. In my case I used the outside part of the hella kit which was a fused relay and their wires to connect the fogs.
The directions are OK but it helps to have a factory manual for deciphering the connection points they refer to. BTW I started out with Hella 550's but the lenses cracked after I left them on while parked one day with the covers installed, melted the covers and cracked the lenses. I bought a set of 450's to replace them.

To Rich

....sorry, what do you mean with "...are not recessed"?

I already have a cheap set of fog lights installed, so wiring is not the problem. They obviously are filled of water and to be honest they were only "Xmas tree" lights.

My option would also be Hella 450, previously sealed with silicone.
Just wondered if ther fitted right in the spot.

Thanks to all of you.
Mike

The only thing that needed to be modified for the hellas was one hole where the factory fogs go. If you look there is one hole that is oval shaped. I took a drift pin and very very gently enlarged that hole then I went to a hardware store and purchased 4 big washers, using the washers I put one on either side of the hole, stuck the nuts on and tightned them up, the washers reinforce that area so the lights are more steady and don't vibrate so much.
The Hella 550's I started with were deeper than the 450's so I needed to open up the cutouts on the air dam. The factory fogs are recessed in those holes. The hellas sit in front of them.
I have been thinking about mounting a set IN the bumper, hella makes a model that has the mounting bolt on the back of it's housing, I have not seen one up close so I don't know how the lense mounts to the body but if you have to remove the bumper to replace bulbs that would be a royal pain in the butt.

Back