• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coyote Canyon

Switch1625

NAXJA Forum User
Who has been to coyote canyon? I just saw some pics of it last night and heard it was a good place for us not so built up jeeps. I just got 2 inches of lift untill about 2 months. (upgrading to like 5in, with some used tires/wheels)

ANYWAYS, i was hoping some of you guys could tell me about this place, and show some pictures. I just know its near borego? Thanks

Maybe we can get to gether and go there some day.

I was there a couple of months ago. I am also running only a 2" lift and had no problems as far as I went. I was alone and did not go the the end. I understand that the road is not open all the way through to Anza, but might be wrong about that. Possibly "jump this" (also active on this forum) mite be more informed about this as he lives in Borrego springs. It is a area that can be influenced by the weather, as it can get very hot and dry there and the creek can suddenly rise because of rain in the mountains. There are spots where you must cross and travel in the stream.

The road is not open all the way up to Anza.
During the summer I like to take night runs up the road and kick back at the stream crossing.
A nice fun trail, nothing too difficult (I saw a Honda pilot at the top of the bipass road once....)
Enjoy the Dez, but bring lots of water!
Rick R:wave1:

It used to be open all the way to Anza, but that was stopped a few years ago. I believe they close the lower gate June 1st.
You could drive to Sheep Canyon and hike the canyon alongside the spring and palm trees. I was out there about a month ago doing just that, and it was nice. It's good for my young kids cause they get bored being trapped by a seatbelt for long. Plus they like hiking.
The Park Ranger drives out there in a stock Cherokee, you should be fine. Probably want rock rails though.

Switch1625 said:
Who has been to coyote canyon?

Never been on it in a 4X4 but I have ridden a mountain bike down it several times. Its one of SoCal’s classic rides.
The hard part is convincing the wives to shuttle us from Borrego to Anza.

lazyxj said:
Never been on it in a 4X4 but I have ridden a mountain bike down it several times. Its one of SoCal’s classic rides.
The hard part is convincing the wives to shuttle us from Borrego to Anza.
Ahhhh, the venerable Coyote Clunker Classic....the good old days...
good times....good times... :D

The Anza Borrego book I got says that the lower willows bypass is the toughest jeep trail in the desert. Can anybody comment on this? What minimum equpment would you recommend for it?

n1ywb said:
The Anza Borrego book I got says that the lower willows bypass is the toughest jeep trail in the desert. Can anybody comment on this? What minimum equpment would you recommend for it?

Who wrote that book anyway?
Probably Mark Jorgensen...what does he know?
Easy trail, a bone stock Cherokee can do it no problem.
It is a neat trail, but not difficult at all. The bypass has some
rock crawling, kinda'.... but overall its flat packed rocks.
The book is probably old, or written after one of the many summer
flash floods we get out here, and those floods are known to tear up
trails.
Have fun!
Rick

n1ywb said:
book I got says that the lower willows bypass is the toughest jeep trail in the desert. Can anybody comment on this? What minimum equpment would you recommend for it?

NAUGHT !!!!!!!!

Common sense...... Sun Screen......

Hey Rick did Y'all get any rain in the past few weeks?

Curt

Xtreme XJ said:
NAUGHT !!!!!!!!

Common sense...... Sun Screen......

Hey Rick did Y'all get any rain in the past few weeks?

Curt

It did get wet out here a few weeks ago, other than that, some drops that got the cars dirty....
Some nasty arse wind last Wednesday and Thursday and some more today.

Rick

I've been running that trail and camping at Sheep (lower half) and Alder and Horse (upper half) Canyons for close to 20 yrs now. It was great when it used to be open all the way through (thank the "Envioronazis") but, it's been closed at the "Middle Willows" for some time now.....I think there's an ongoing legal battle going on over that issue. There is one short, rocky climb (lower trail) just below Santa Catarina Spring, nothing too difficult but, interesting enough in a stock vehicle. Sheep Canyon has nice campsites and some primitive out houses (or you can take a walk with your shovel) and there's a neat stand of palm trees and spring a little ways up the canyon that you can hike to. The upper half you enter from the town of Anza (it's kinda of hard to find) and there's a pretty rocky descent called the "Turkey Track" (don't know why, it's called that) Going down's not too bad but, climbing out will take a little more patience and careful wheel placement. Alder Canyon has some neat campsites that have a canopy of trees over them and offer great shade. The entrance to Horse Canyon has gotten really hard to find over the years but, It goes way back and the headwaters of Coyote Creek is supposed to be back there somewhere. If you stay on the main trail (upper) you'll run into Bailey's Cabin and you can actually stay in there over night but, it's on a first come first serve basis......that would actually be a good day run, have lunch there destination. I also wanted to mention that there are heards of mustang up there....it's pretty cool to see them in the wild! Anyways, sorry for the long post but, I've always loved going there and back when I was married, my wife and I would wheel and camp all through there every Thanksgiving. Hope that was helpful and if you have any more questions, shoot me a pm----------Hans

Last edited:
Oatmeal said:
I've been running that trail and camping at Sheep (lower half) and Alder and Horse (upper half) Canyons for close to 20 yrs now. *snip*

Wow sweet, thanks for the comments. I think our plan is to drive up from Borrego, camp at Sheep Canyon, then drive up to Middle Willows and hike from there to Upper Willows and check out Baily's Cabin and try to find the springs and the First Child Monument. We'll probably do it from Anza another time. Doesn't sound like it should be too difficult.

It's too bad they don't set up another bypass like at lower willows... Trails that go somewhere are more fun than in and outs.

n1ywb said:
Wow sweet, thanks for the comments. I think our plan is to drive up from Borrego, camp at Sheep Canyon, then drive up to Middle Willows and hike from there to Upper Willows and check out Baily's Cabin and try to find the springs and the First Child Monument. We'll probably do it from Anza another time. Doesn't sound like it should be too difficult.

It's too bad they don't set up another bypass like at lower willows... Trails that go somewhere are more fun than in and outs.
Yeah, there's a lot of history there. Juan Bautista de Anza went through there as in inland route to (I think it was) Mission San Francisco. Can you imagine oxen driven carts with horses and cattle going through there and not really being sure where you'd end up!-------Hans

Back