• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan overide.

mack

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone have a good write up on a fan overide switch? for a 92, i don't have any overheating at all, i just want control over the fan, i want to turn it on with a switch, but when the switch is off, i want it work like normal, some say you need a relay, some say you don't,so after about 12 pages of looking around, i think this will be quicker.
thanks.

use the stock relay, and a 3 pole switch, one side 12v to relay, other side ecu wire to relay

- 12v
- to relay
- ecu

i'm a fool when it comes to wires, is the stock relay on the driver side next to the rad?
tealcherokee said:
use the stock relay, and a 3 pole switch, one side 12v to relay, other side ecu wire to relay

- 12v
- to relay
- ecu

untitled.jpg

sorry it saved like crap

does anyone use the Xj-Armor harness for this?

so the fan doesn't come on if the switch is off? what year xj do you have?
ALL PLAY said:
I did and it works off the switch. They advertise that it will work if I have off but not......

For the money try to wire it your self.

Bo

92!! I wired it as the insructions said but nothing happens when my temp goes over 210-220. Now I just have it on all the time.

The reason I bought it was so when the wife drove the jeep I would'nt have to worry about it.

Maybe I should just tell her to use her jeep ( a thought)..

Bo

I have the xj armor one for my 89. It will start the fan if I have the ac/defroster on, as well as when the switch is on.
I wish I had tried to do it myself, because it is more or less a relay, switch, and a few conectors. Try to do it yourself, and if it doesnt work, go for the xjarmor.

mack said:
does anyone use the Xj-Armor harness for this?
I did. Very pleased with the quality of it too. Sure, it's just wires and a relay but it's nicer than what I would have done myself.

Mine works just as advertised. The fan works normally but if I want it on at a time it's not typically on then I just flip the switch.

does he still sell these? i can't seem to find the site.

someone said if i don't use a diode, it will fry the ecu.

mack said:
does he still sell these? i can't seem to find the site.
He used to sell them on eBay, but when I just checked there was nothing. When I looked him up, it says that he is no longer a registered user. So I'm wondering if he is getting out of the business.

Another option would to install a "Summer/Winter" switch powered off the switched side of the brake light switch using an additional relay to power the fan when standing in traffic. The biggest drawback is that the fan will be energized any time you brake, unless you have the switch in the "Winter" position......

Another method;

The Fan Control Relay is switched by the temp sensor and/or the A/C. All you need to do is add a third input method of activating the relay. Thus you dont need to cut any existing wires from the ECU. Also, there already exist the required diodes if you choose to input before them.

In english, a standard SPST switch (2 wires) which supplies 12v to pin #2 of the Fan Control Relay will turn on the fan and preserve the other two methods of switching. Up to you whether you want to pull the 12v from a switched line or hot line as to if you want your Override-on position to run with the vehicle shut off or not (the temp switch runs from hot battery so you really dont need it and would avoid a dead battery). This setup provides Normal Auto fan and Manual Override on. Remember, its just the relay you are switching, no need for heavy guage power and fuses since the fan uses the oem wiring.

Now, if the temp switch operates at 190 and the thermostat is 190-195, why would you need to manual on the fan? (hint-temp switch failure) A very limited circumstance.

Back