• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

back spaceing

coonassdevildog

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have researched it so far i found out that stock an xj has a 15x7 rim wit 5.25 bs i intend on getting widder rims prolly sopmething that will be able to handle a 10.50 tire and i kinda want a lil bit of them to hangout of the wheel well cause when me and my buddies go wheelin its mostly mud and it ends up being a mud slingin contest i have pulled my flairs off and have no intions on on puting them back on could anyone give me maybe a small clue about to wat back spaceing i need i have an 01 xj just looking for about 2-4 of tire to hangout i know to most people this sounds stupid thanx for any help

i put 2 in spacers behind my stock wheels with 30x11.5x15 tires hangs out bout 2 in the front and 1 in the rear lots cheaper than wheels 125 for 4 (beyond the flares)

coonassdevildog said:
15x7 rim wit 5.25 bs i intend on getting widder rims prolly sopmething that will be able to handle a 10.50 tire

you dont think a 7" rim is wide enough for a 10 inch tire?

The most back spacing I would use on any wheel on a cherokee is 3.75 BS. Anything more than that and you are putting way too much stress on all of the front end components.

Michael

you can run rock crawler rims (5x4.5" bolt pattern) with 4" back spacing for almost an inch with 10" wide tires and no flares, or you can go 3.75 or 2.75 ( i dont no who makes rims with this much backspace for cheap) if you want them to stick out a lot. if i were you id save up, get the crawler rims for 44 bucks a pop on rusty's, then get a set of 30x11.5 tires on 'em. its kinda hard to get yer wheels to stick out that far at stock height, its either spacers, or wheels with minimal backspace. http://www.rocky-road.com/wheels.html theres a site for custom backspaced rims, some as low as 60 bucks a rim and they will give you about 3.5" on each side at most !! good luck, id call that place and see what bolt pattern too befor ordering anything if you do

but i agree with 2xtreme, but seeing as though you dont seem to be lifted (stocks) i would say that you dont wheel hard enogh to put THAT much stress on the front components, but hey im not an expert, nor do i no if you are lifted or not :eek:

Last edited:
the "formula" for how far the wheel is going to move out is

(New Width - New BS) - (Orig width - Orig BS)

(8 - 3.75) - (7 - 5.25)

4.25 - 1.75

Negative numbers mean the wheel moves in
Positive numbers mean the wheel moves out

no i am not lifted nor do i do anything extremely hard i am not a rock crawler though that does seem like it would be fun i am just a good ol'boy that like to go mudding yes my xj is almost bone stock still i am working on a few things and saveing for a lift at most i will go is maybe 4.5 but most likely i will just do a 3" lift cause this is my daily driver and it has to last for a while so my new question is i guess the rim size 15x? with like 4"bs to run a 10.50 tire ? would this be a safe bs for my setup i don't have a big buget rite now maybe when i get back from iraq it will be bigger but for now i ain't trying to break nothin

Yes, a 15" rim with back spacing anywhere between 3.75 and 4.25 is perfect for the different tires you would be considering putting on your truck with up to a 4.5" lift. the lower the back spacing number the more the tire will stick up and the more stress it will put on the steering, hubs, joints, etc.

with BS of 3.75 to 4.25 and at least a 10.5" tire, you should be able to throw mud all over your truck with your tires, instead of it all ending up in the wheel well. I assume this is what you are trying to get at:)

Michael

coonassdevildog said:
2xtreme is a 15x8 rim capable of holding a 10.50-11.50 tire

I'll jump in.

A rule of thumb I've picked up on: With the proper BS use the plus 4.5" rule. i.e. wheel width + 4.5". 7" wheel will properly hold up to 11.50. Just my thoughts.

Yes. It will hold up to 12.50 tire.

I have 31x10.5 on stock jeep wheels with nothing but the rusty's bb, rubs a little at full lock on the lca's and unless I am jumping it they do not rub on the flares. Yeah, I am little hard on her but the only way to get ok for more parts from the wife is if I break something : )

p.s. The tires were on there with no lift at all when I bought it, got the bb just to go on a camping trip, suprised how much it helped

Back