• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What dod i do with my o2 senser with no cat

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 xj and that cat rattles like crazy i want to take it out and replace it with a straight pipe but i dont know what to do with the o2 sensor that threads into it. can i remeve it or what and what will happen to my mpg and check engine light.

jegs sells a plug in to replace that oxy sensor, it fools the comp into thinking there is a workin cat there.

or just live with the CE light

BTW removing the cat is against the law and you net little to no positive gains from removing it from a 4.0.

goodburbon said:
jegs sells a plug in to replace that oxy sensor

They sell the O2 sensor simulators for $45. They also sell a generic cat for $53. If you live in an area that does emissions testing, you will get flagged for having a straight pipe. If they're pissy, they can hit you with a serious fine as it's illegal. Since the price difference is neglible, I would encourage you to do the right thing and install a proper cat converter.

You can find universal high flow cat's on Ebay for 50.00. If it's about money not having a cat, 50 bucks isn't bad. I removed my cat and got WORSE gas mileage.

Back