• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering choices d 30

DurbElites

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a death wobble from hell... i have changed all the tie rods and done the alignment at 1/4 toe in and at 0 but what else couold it be also i have a new steering stabalizer. i can hit a bump on the freeway and have to almost stop down to like 15 mph before it stops but i am tired of sh#tting my pants when i am going fast and it happens. what is next other than a hydro assist because i cant afford it yet. also about OTK steering systems for a DD is tie rods a better choice than hiems for longer life of steering components and for better flexibility, and do most OTK steering systems come with everything or is there other stuff that i need to buy they dont tell you about its for a d30 on a 95 4.0 auto with 31's planning on bigger, or just wait and get the hydro kit.

If you are still running the stock steering stabilizer or don't have one, you may want to upgrade or install a good aftermarket unit. You should also take a look at the track bar. If the bushings are beat it will result in some really scary handling when you hit a bump.

i wouldn't worry about hydro until you run over 35" meats. there are many choices for OTK and inverted t setups. i run a bulletproof steering setup with full teflon heims and it works great on a DD. some steering conversions require you to relocate the TB mount on the axle side, but thats something you'll have to figure out once you install your new steering system. currie, rusty's, JCR, RK, bulletproof, and a few other companies carry crossover steering.

BTW, what sizes tires and lift are you running? cause it sounds like it might be something else other than your steering components. i've never read about a steering geometry problem running only 31" meats, and a moderate 4" lift.

i agree with randy ^^, look into your TB joints. when my RE superflex joint goes bad, there is massive slop in the steering and i DO experience the wobble you explained!

thanks that helps alot. i just wanted something i dont have to worry about so i will prob go with a bulletproof steering. i am currently running 31's with a 4.5 lift and i have used two different tb's and the same result and i have had two different steering stabilizers also. i just want something thats easy to install that i dont need to buy a new pass. side knuckle that comes with everything i need tb and everything and bulletproof looks pretty good so far but i will also follow up on others as well.

Back