• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle runout, 8.25

gtpolkus

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys

Been having this lound clunk from my rear end when ever my suspension flexes, when I'm turning and backing up, or whenever my rearend isn't going in a straight line.

Shocks are tight, swaybar bushings are good, spring bushings appear to be in good shape. I put it on jack stands and noticed that I've got about 1/16" of runout on the rear axle shafts. Is this normal? Could the clunk be my shafts slamming around? I can recreate a similar noise by shaking the jeep back and fourth, but this doesn't accurately represent a runing condition. 99' 8.25, 31's, open rear end.

If this runout isn't normal, is it bearings? I can't imagine I've compromised my rear end with the level that I wheel at with an open rear...Any info would be apprecaited

Barpins are tight. JKS BPE's on OME shocks. I put washers between the BPE's and the shock bushings to ensure that it wouldn't clunk anymore

That amount of end play is normal in a 8.25.Try moving the exhaust pipe. I bet that one of the hangers is broken/gone.
Wayne

check your motormounts.

I a simalar problem and ended up being the leaf spring bushings on the frame side. They looked good until I took the springs off and noticed that the sleeve was oval shaped so the whole thing would move. Changed the bushings and no more noise.

Back