• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep just quit

montysbxj

NAXJA Forum User
was driving down the road after just starting my 2000 xj 4.0 and it just quit, wont start but does crank. fuel pump is 3 months old, and is working have fuel to the rail any help is great

i am starting to think it may be fuel, because if i turn the ignition on and push the relief valve on the fuel rail nothing comes out. i dont have a guage or i would
hook the guage up. i am thinking it might be the inertia switch but i cant find it.

i dont know how to check spark on a vehicle when the coil pack is on teh plug like this is. the fuel pump relay is working fine i took it apart and checked it. is there an inertia switch on this? i just checked the fuel rail again and there is fuel coming to the rail when cranking so i dunno i am considering taking it somewhere if i cant figure this out today. i unplugged the cps and plugged it back in and no difference. it doesnt have a check engine light on so i cant run the scan tool on it at this point.

ok so here is the latest. i tried the whole cps thing, didnt fix it so last night iw as playing around with it and sprayed some carb and choke cleaner into the throttle body. it started and ran untill it ran out of cleaner. i am thinking it is fuel related. i had my buddy get in it and turn on the key while i got underneath to listen for the fuel pump, i can hear it loud and clear. not to mention i just replaced it around christmas time. i checked all teh fuses again, wiggled all thewiring i can find thinking there is an uncovered wire somehwere. nothing still. I took thefuel pump relay apart, and watched it open and close so it is working. The only real difference now is, thecheck engine light is now on. i am wondering if the fuel pump may have had a flaw and gone already. any ideas are appreciated.

montysbxj said:
i am wondering if the fuel pump may have had a flaw and gone already. any ideas are appreciated.

Yeah, it's most likely your new fuel pump was indeed a dud. It should still be under warranty so get a free replacement.

What code? You need to check for power at the pump and look at the other pump relay there are two ones on the firewall near the water bottle, it's called the bypass relay. Your code could show that.

Might be the connector hose slipped off the pump......the pump would still be running but there would be no pressure.....

i called advance and found out that the pump is under warranty so i had them order it. will be here inteh morning. i have checked the line coming out of the pump and it seems to be opn all theway and tight. as far sas the code goes, i dont know because the jeep doesnt run to get is somewhere and i dont have a scannner or any friends that do. the pump is alot louder than i thought it should be so it may have gone on me. and if not it is a free shot at fixing it other than the hour it will take to chang it. i checked the relay that is under the hood in the fuse box, where is the other?

Don't forget a lot of those fuel pumps come from the after market manufacturer wire backwards. You could take te fuel line off at the filter and then turn the car on. If gas comes out pump is working. Just put something down there to catch the fuel. Not sure if I helped but thats what helped me find the problem under my brothers XJ

family XJ said:
Don't forget a lot of those fuel pumps come from the after market manufacturer wire backwards. You could take te fuel line off at the filter and then turn the car on. If gas comes out pump is working. Just put something down there to catch the fuel. Not sure if I helped but thats what helped me find the problem under my brothers XJ
If the pumps running then don't worry about and relays, pull the pump and check the hose in the tank.

that could be true except the pump has been in since thanks giving of last year. everything worked greak untill sunday and it just died going down the road. thanks anyways

ya, i put 15 gallons in friday night, and went 90 miles on that. i know i am getting bad milage but hopefully not that bad, and i can hear it sloshing around in teh tank if i take the cap off

Take a fuel pressure reading at the rail with a gauge! You can't go any further till you know if you have fuel getting to the injectors and if it is enough pressure to open the injectors. You obviously have good power and ground to the pump because you hear it running. Don't worry too much about the code, it was most likely kicked because of the carb cleaner shot you gave it.

went to advance, and warrantied the pump. fixed the problem. thanks for the help guys, now if i can only find time to fix my front universal joint i would be doing great.

Back