• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L block/head/intake swap

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 95XJ with a 4.0L/Aw4/NP231.

i hydrolocked the engine this weekend and blew a huge hole in the oil pan. i have a 4.0L out of an 89XJ AW4/NP231 sitting in my garage, and was wondering if i could use that engine to fix my XJ. now i haven't gotten a chance to open my blown engine, to see the extend of the damage, but i was thinking about these options and was wondering if they would work.

1)89 Block/head with 95 intake/fuel system

2)89 Block with 95 head/intake/fuel system (assuming that my head/valves aren't damaged)

3)89 Block, use the 95 head and take everything out of it and use the valves and other parts out of the 89 head, with the 95 intake.

4)any other suggestions???

i have $28.00 to get my XJ running again, and don't really see a problem with either option 1 or 2. all i would have to buy would be a head gasket and intake/exhaust gasket (unless i don't take my intake/exhaust off of the 95 head and rebuild it using the 89 valves. then i would only need a head gasket).

am i overlooking anything??? will the 89 parts work with the 95???

#1 will be the easiest, but #2 is the best option. Right now I'm running the head off an 88 in a 96 Cherokee. It works great, but the intake doesn't line up perfectly.

Every one of these options will require you to swap the distributor and sensors from the 95 block to the 89. If you swap heads, make sure you mark and reused the 89 rockers and push rods in the exact same location with the same side up. The 89 block will have a knock sensor at the bottom drivers-side of the block. This will not be connected to anything in the 95. I believe there is a temperature sensor in the block of the 89. You can connect to that one or swap thermostat housings and connect to the proper location, which is in the thermostat housing of the 95.

Hope that helps.

ok, so that sounds like what i was thinking.

just curious why it's so important that i "make sure you mark and reused the 89 rockers and push rods in the exact same location with the same side up".

i mean just regular scenerio, if mine were in good condition, is there a reason i couldn't just use the 95 rockers/push rods???

scorpio_vette said:
i have a 95XJ with a 4.0L/Aw4/NP231.

i hydrolocked the engine this weekend and blew a huge hole in the oil pan. i have a 4.0L out of an 89XJ AW4/NP231 sitting in my garage, and was wondering if i could use that engine to fix my XJ. now i haven't gotten a chance to open my blown engine, to see the extend of the damage, but i was thinking about these options and was wondering if they would work.

1)89 Block/head with 95 intake/fuel system doesn't work, the intake/exhaust ports are differant

2)89 Block with 95 head/intake/fuel system (assuming that my head/valves aren't damaged) good option, essitially the same blocks between 89 and 95

3)89 Block, use the 95 head and take everything out of it and use the valves and other parts out of the 89 head, with the 95 intake. not certain, but i think the parts are differant. either someone else chime in, or look up the part numbers and compare them (valves and so forth, that is)

4)any other suggestions??? if you have the computer from the 89, swap the whole engine and computer and wiring harnesses, but #2 is a better option than that, unless your 95 head is shot

i have $28.00 to get my XJ running again, and don't really see a problem with either option 1 or 2. all i would have to buy would be a head gasket and intake/exhaust gasket (unless i don't take my intake/exhaust off of the 95 head and rebuild it using the 89 valves. then i would only need a head gasket).

am i overlooking anything??? will the 89 parts work with the 95???

ratherbcamping said:
Every one of these options will require you to swap the distributor and sensors from the 95 block to the 89. If you swap heads, make sure you mark and reused the 89 rockers and push rods in the exact same location with the same side up. The 89 block will have a knock sensor at the bottom drivers-side of the block. This will not be connected to anything in the 95. I believe there is a temperature sensor in the block of the 89. You can connect to that one or swap thermostat housings and connect to the proper location, which is in the thermostat housing of the 95.

Hope that helps.

the temp sensor in an 89 is in the radiator, which i've never understood. keeping rockers and pushrods together is essnetial anytime you pull apart an engine and put the used parts back in.

Don't forget that the flywheel and CPS must be of the same generation as the computer. The flywheel from the Renix engine won't work with your HO CPS and computer. Swap the old flywheel onto the replacement engine- use loctite and correct torque, or you too could have the loose flywheel agravation.

the temp sensor for the ecu is for the pre 91s in the head - near to the firewall. the thing in the radiator is just a switch turning the aux fan on and off...

in the 91 and up the temp sensor for the ecu is in the thermostat housing and the ecu contols the aux fan...

scorpio_vette said:
i mean just regular scenerio, if mine were in good condition, is there a reason i couldn't just use the 95 rockers/push rods???

The lifters, push rods and rockers in the 89 are worn and seated together. Switching used components around accelerates wear and could lead to failure of a part.

i just thought of one other option that i overlooked and i was wondering if there would be a problem with that option.

i know the 89 is in good condition, runs quite and has less miles on it than mine did.
so instead of opening it and mixing old/new good/bad, could i just leave the entire 89 together and just put the 95 throttle body/fuel rail and any necessary sensors on it???

Back