• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

those of you with Tera 4:1

jeepme

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
How noisy is your 4:1?? Mine is pretty noisy in 4 low and I even get a little bit of noise in 2wd also. I just installed it about 2 weeks ago and have not been able to give it a good all day wheelin break in but was just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks

Ya I looked at those threads but nothing in there about noise in 2wd.

The planetaries have no effect in 2wd,if your having any noise there then its your parts or an install problem.Did you inspect the shift fork pads,I see yours is a 95 so they are surely worn some?The output shaft pilot bearing is about the only other thing that comes to mind.Did you do any other work(HD SYE)?

Sorry for the delayed response Ive been out of town for a while. I did not change the SYE it was already there. The only thing i added was the 2low kit. The pads on the main shift fork i did not replace but the noise is definately coming from the planatery portion of the case. I lifted one rear tire and spun it and could definately here what sounds to me like the planetary gears making some clicking noise. I took it on a wheelin trip for a day to break it in and everything worked fine but still the clicking /chattering type noise in 2wd and 4wd. The noise seems to diminish a lot under power and is not there in 1st gear low 2wd. It is loudest when coasting and just regular 2wd street driving. I also disc the shift linkage and manualy put it 2wd and no change. I am really stumped with this and dont really want to take it to a shop so any more ideas would be greatly apreciated.

RCP Phx said:
The planetaries have no effect in 2wd,if your having any noise there then its your parts or an install problem.Did you inspect the shift fork pads,I see yours is a 95 so they are surely worn some?The output shaft pilot bearing is about the only other thing that comes to mind.Did you do any other work(HD SYE)?

Wrong. The planetaries spin the whole time and will have the noise (though a lot less than 4wdlow) in 2wd.

Noise is normal. Remember the TC is working almost 30% as fast as it used to with the 2.72. Mine makes it as well but seems to be fine.

Thanks for the response, I talked to a few other people with them that have the same noise. It seems as though some make the noise and some dont I guess Ill see what happens.

do you mean it makes noise in 2 lo also? thats normal. If its making noise in 2 hi, theres a problem.

ipkyss said:
do you mean it makes noise in 2 lo also? thats normal. If its making noise in 2 hi, theres a problem.

???

It will make MORE NOISE in 2Lo as well. There is no problem with that. The noise is the planetaries, NOT the motion of the chain.

Last edited:
cracker said:
Wrong. The planetaries spin the whole time and will have the noise (though a lot less than 4wdlow) in 2wd.

Noise is normal. Remember the TC is working almost 30% as fast as it used to with the 2.72. Mine makes it as well but seems to be fine.

WRONG! This is from TeraFlx's Install .pdf file for the 4:1

Teraflex said:
The planetary gears idle in all positions except low-range. The more low-range use the gears experience, the quieter they become in all positions.

Bottom of page 1, in the "break in" section
http://www.teraflx.com/installsheets/low231_install.pdf

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
I was just going to say that I would be exceeding the max 2500-3000 rpm(on the tera kit) when driving down the highway at 80mph for the last 20K miles!
Post #5-http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83675

While the planetaries are idling it is 'ok' to be spinning that high. That warning from Teraflex is while 2LO OR 4LO is engaged (when there is strain on the planetaries and heat is generated).

Here is your portion post from you linked thread:
RCP Phx said:
(In 4lo,it shouldnt make any noise in high since everything is straight thru)

This quote from the Teraflex Installation Guide contradicts what you said:

Teraflex said:
The planetary gears idle in all positions except low-range. The more low-range use the gears experience, the quieter they become in all positions.

By all positions, they are referring to 2HI, 4HI, 4LO (and 2LO if you have it).

Last edited:
waxer said:
WRONG! This is from TeraFlx's Install .pdf file for the 4:1

Bottom of page 1, in the "break in" section
http://www.teraflx.com/installsheets/low231_install.pdf

For starters, re-read the whole thread before you make remarks that make you look like a completely uneducated neewbie.

THEN re-read your quote 10 times
Teraflex said:

I will re-post it to make it clearer for you
Teraflex said:

Have you assembled the unit? Are you intimately involved with one of these? Do you know what a planetary is? Can you define the word idle?
The unit idles in all positions except low-range. When in low-range it still spins but it is not idleing, it is excercising the planetaries to get its low range. A rather simple concept, planetaries to re-gear your drivetrain for a lower ratio. When in 2HI and 4HI, the planetaries DO spin constantly (otherwise referred to as idling) hense the wonderful new noise. There is NO way to make the planetaries stop spinning as it is an integral part of the 231 design.

When in ALL positions, whether idling OR engaged, the 4:1 ratio WILL make more noise than a standard 2.72:1 transfer case because 1) the planetaries are spinning 30% faster AND 2) there is two more planetaries spinning inside the cases (Tera uses 5 where stock uses 3). The unit will become quieter over time when in 2HI after, and only after, it has been used quite a bit while in 4LO or 2LO (as so clearly stated in the Installation manual).

FileHandler.ashx

Here is the Tera low right before it was installed into my XJ.

Last edited:
And I was thinkin the noise was coming from my girlfriend all this time. :gee:

Hey Cracker, quit sugar-coating it!

Jeepme, I've got the 242 with teralow... It's getting quieter over time, just like in the literature.

I swear my Tera-Low makes noise parked in the garage.:shiver:

Also do pay attention to the 3000 rpm limit. I ran my a little hard 3 months after the install. Climbing a hill, hit the rev limiter, had the tires 3 feet in the air all the way up squealer at the Cove. welded the front thrust washer to the input shaft. Cut the weekend short to be sure.

To the companies credit, they swapped it under the warranty, but did caution not to doit again. Both units were/are very loud.

ANother side note. It's for sale next month after I get the 4 speed atlas installed. (23 spine, AA HD SYE, chain & front shaft from an 01 W/40k miles)

anderld47 said:
Hey Cracker, quit sugar-coating it!

Jeepme, I've got the 242 with teralow... It's getting quieter over time, just like in the literature.

Ok its only had about 1 day of wheelin on it so I will get some more seat time this summer and see what happens. Thanks for all the replies guys.

Back