• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unusual Power Door Lock Question

AZ Jeff

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ “Classic” that came from the factory with keyless entry and power door locks. It also came from the factory with the “Sentry Key” anti-theft system (the one with the microchip in the key.)

My question, to anyone else who has this model with these features, is this:

Are all four doors supposed to lock automatically when the engine is started, and are they supposed to unlock when the engine is shut off?

I ask because, when I bought the vehicle (used), it behaved this way. Then a couple of months ago, I took out a hokey PITA aftermarket alarm that had been installed by the dealer in this vehicle. Since I took out the alarm, the locks do not function automatically anymore, and I am trying to find out if that was an alarm-specific feature, or a factory feature that is now kaput.

A search through the Owner’s Manual and the FSM reveals nothing.

Does anyone know?

I would vote for the alarm too. My 2000 XJ Sport has power locks, keyless entry, and the chip in the key and my doors don't lock unless I lock them.

I don't like mine locking and unlocking every time I turn the key! I disconnected those relays on my aftermarket alarm. I don't really need all the wear and tear on the door lock mechanisms, and I locked myself out twice while working on the thing!

Back