• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK, Buick 3800

daytripper

NAXJA Forum User
I got a Buick park avenue for $50.00 at an auction today. It has the 3800 distributorless engine, this engine is sweet it hauls that boat of a car like a freight train!! I want it in my XJ! I looked and the starter is bolted to the block, so My question is HOW DO I ADAPT IT TO A REAR WHEEL TRANNY????? What tranny, what adaptor, I have welders, saws, benders...... Thanks in advance!

Last I heard I think Novak is working on making adapters to make the fwd engines work in rear wheel applications. I checked their website and didn't see anything mentioned though.... You might find that it is a pretty involved swap since in the fwd application many things are different than in the rwd set up, ie motor mounts, trans. bolt pattern, flexplate, starter, ect...
You can probably sell the car (unless it is really rough) and buy a good 3.8 out of a 80's regal and have some $$ left over to put towards buying the adapters to make it a bolt together deal.
Mike B.

The older 231 buicks are capacle of putting out some serious horsepower. It would probably be an easier swap. No it would definetely be an easy swap.

The older 231 buicks are capacle of putting out some serious horsepower. It would probably be an easier swap. No it would definitely be an easier swap.

Why don't you build a rockcrawler-something? I'm planning on using a fwd engine in the middle of the car, welding the diff and taking one driveshaft to the front axle, one to the rear. Extremely lightweight and space efficient, and you'll get the gearbox ratio x the diff ratio x the ratio in your axles. Almost for free.

There have been a few Jeeps built with the front wheel drive 3.8. I saw one in person once back in 88 in Colorado. I have a pic of it somewhere. Also, way back when, one of the mags did a writeup on this very swap. I think it was 4wd&su before the name change. It probably is a real hassle though. Jeff

Back