• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

urgent bolt question

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm trying to do my wheel bearing, so I can leave for redbird tomorrow. Funny how the MJ always picks the day before a trip to have a failure. Anyway, what size bolts hold on the brake caliper?? They seem to be an odd reverse torx kinf of deal. I've got those in 7/16(too small) and 1/2"(too big) I'm assuming it's metric, and if so, any other ways to get them off, I can't run to the store at 12:30 AM.
As a side note, is it bad when you can remove your wheel hub nut with just your fingers? Seems like someone before me had never heard of a torque wrench.

87manche said:
So I'm trying to do my wheel bearing, so I can leave for redbird tomorrow. Funny how the MJ always picks the day before a trip to have a failure. Anyway, what size bolts hold on the brake caliper?? They seem to be an odd reverse torx kinf of deal. I've got those in 7/16(too small) and 1/2"(too big) I'm assuming it's metric, and if so, any other ways to get them off, I can't run to the store at 12:30 AM.
No clue on the size, in later years they went to 13mm / 1/2" hex bolt.
As a side note, is it bad when you can remove your wheel hub nut with just your fingers? Seems like someone before me had never heard of a torque wrench.
Probably really bad: the nut preloads the bearing and holds the unibearing together.... yours might be wanting to fall appart now.

yeah, these seem to be a 13MM oddball something or other. it doesn't matter, I got the caliper off by just taking out the slide pins.
Amazingly the hub came off real easy. A few whacks with a sledge and she fell right off.
The nut comment was a joke, I knew it was real bad. I'm go have to check the other unit bearing, it's probably the same way. Hopefully it's not trashed like this one is.
After I got this hub off I can see about 1/8" gab between the WMS and the seal.
Next question, do new unit bearings come with studs?

The one I got from Napa did. JIM.

Back