• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering tightness

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Every XJ I've ever driven the steering is loose and my 98 TJ the steering is extremely tight which drives nice. SOmebdy told me the steering components are the same on my 90XJ as the ones on my 98TJ, so how can I 'tighten' up the XJ steering?

steering in my 87 feels like my neighbors TJ. It's probably just that the 90 components are all worn out.
Check all of the TRE's for wear and the trackbar. The steering box may also be worn out.
Crawl under and see if you can rotate the sector shaft by hand. It shouldn't move that far, if it does the box may be worn out, or out of adjustment.

Don't forget to check the steering shaft u-joint......

87manche: I see by looking at your avitar that you are a fellow athf fan....

Last edited:
Thanks, I can rotate one of the steering componets by hand that is firm on a buddy's XJ...mine has 195k so I'd say things are probably worn out.

pressurerat said:
Almost every(older) XJ I've dealt with had a loose track bar and/or track bar bracket. That's always a good place to start.
sorry to jump into this thread, but my son's vocational mechanic teacher looked at my 89 xj and told him my track bar was bad. I found one at autozone for like $34 (it says duralast) or so and was wondering, has anyone bought this for their 87 - 90 xj and do I need a bracket as mentioned above or is this a straight swap. In addition, is this something I can easily replace myself or should I have like an air/impact wrench and leave it to a pro (or maybe my son's teacher)???

It should also be noted that some time during the mid 90's and maybe more than once, they have changed the amount of boost in the XJ steering. The old ones are way overboosted, and feel much lighter and looser than the later ones, even when things are in reasonably good condition. The difference between, say, an 89 and a 99, is dramatic.

Maybe a stiffer steering dampener would help, I've got an OME and mines pretty tight

Matthew Currie said:
It should also be noted that some time during the mid 90's and maybe more than once, they have changed the amount of boost in the XJ steering. The old ones are way overboosted, and feel much lighter and looser than the later ones, even when things are in reasonably good condition. The difference between, say, an 89 and a 99, is dramatic.
I can only imagine.

I just significantly tightened mine up tonight by replacing the tie rod end that goes from the draglink to the pitman arm. On the one I removed, I could wiggle/move around the ball stud with my thumb. On the replacement joint, I had to use both hands to get the ball stud to budge. Huge difference in steering response.

Back