• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Leaf Bushing walking out

djblade311

NAXJA Member # 1474
NAXJA Member
Yes I searched :) Search for:
  • "rear leaf bushing";
  • "rear leaf" AND bushing;
  • rear AND leaf AND bushing;

My passenger side is squeaking like crazy and it appears that the rear-leaf bushing is walking out of the loop eye on the frame end (not shackle end). You can see the metal casing has moved about a half inch out of the loop

• Should I just get new bushings or could it be a sign of the leaf's loop getting all tweaked? New leaf pack?
  • Or Should I just try to push it back in?
  • How are these usually replaced? BFH? or Ball Joint press

I had the same problem on my RE 3.5" leafs some time back. I pulled the leafs and the bushings can be pressed in and out with one finger. The leafs were not very old, but rubicon express gave me a really hard time about replacing them, so i ended up buying a used pack that was a bit taller but had tight bushings .. then lifting the front to match it.. drop brackets.. better rear end.. more lift in the rear .. more up front.. well, you've seen where my jeeps gone in the last year.

That exact problem is what started it. I expect to see you on 35's by christmas. ;)

-C

yea I had already thought about taller leafs...haha. 35's by christmas is too soon. I JUST got the 32s a few months ago. inchitis....got ointment?

Not sure that i believe in coincidence. :)

I have a new set of RE 5.5" leafs and shackle waiting to go on, and made very sure to get a proper receipt this time so i can warantee them if i need to. Next time around I'll probably go Deaver springs.

cal said:
Not sure that i believe in coincidence. :)

I have a new set of RE 5.5" leafs and shackle waiting to go on, and made very sure to get a proper receipt this time so i can warantee them if i need to. Next time around I'll probably go Deaver springs.

or alcan... I hear big offroad has good prices on alcans

well I can't quite return my leaf springs since they were used and I dont have a receipt. I was thinking of trying to press the bushings back in and put a dab of JB weld for temporary resolution.

LilRedRover said:
or alcan... I hear big offroad has good prices on alcans

Deaver is just a few miles from my home, and makes springs custom to your specs. You pay for what you get, but you get it..

djblade311 said:
well I can't quite return my leaf springs since they were used and I dont have a receipt. I was thinking of trying to press the bushings back in and put a dab of JB weld for temporary resolution.

I was gonna take my RE 3.5's to a local shop and just start looking for bushings that press in tight. If i can get bushings that work well for them, I'll drop the springs to a chapter newbie piecing together a lift.

-C

funny....my crusty's 4.5" springs just did this a month or so ago. i just pressed them back in and tack welded them. I know...not good for spring steel to heat...but it worked. but i took them off in the MJ spring swap.

Installed RE 3.5 leaf springs. Left side is fine. On the right the bushing slid out of the front eye. 4wheelparts warrantied it. About a half of a year passed and the same bushing went out again. Why is it that the left side does not have a problem and the right one does again and again ?

What could be done to prevent it, besides JB weld ?

slidingbushing.jpg

Andrey

i had that problem with both sides on my old RE 3.5" leafs. I had to argue with RE for nearly a full day before they agreed to warantee them. lot of other guys seem to have that same problem with those leafs..

my RE 4.5's did the same thing...and RE was "out of stock" on them...Hmmmm, why is that?

when installing the leaf bolt make sure you put anit-sieze on the sholder,NOT THE THREADS. ive seen this on stock lift and lowering springs. the bolt will sieze against the metel sleeve and when the spring is compressed the bushing turns in the spring walkin it out instead of the bushing turning on the bolt

reliablestv said:
oh yeah make sure you dont go too crazy when tightening the bolt,use locktite

I used torque wrench.

jjvande said:
funny....my crusty's 4.5" springs just did this a month or so ago. i just pressed them back in and tack welded them. I know...not good for spring steel to heat...but it worked. but i took them off in the MJ spring swap.

Bingo! We have a winner, not a whiner.

Knock 'em back into place and tack weld them. You don't even have to remove them from the vehicle. Works fine, lasts a long time.

Back