• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loose gears in transfer

torfinn

NAXJA Forum User
I am rebuilding my transfer case np242. I opened it up and found some metal shavings on the magnet. I guess it is normal.

I also found that both gears (sprockets) for the chain are quite loose on their axles. I can wiggle them some. They are not exactly a tight fit. I can move the sprocket on the main shaft 0,1mm, and rotate it maybe 0,5mm when holding the axle still. Is this normal. The sprockets are held in place by snap rings, so they are not a press fit, but I did not expect it to be that loose. I have never opened a transfer before.

The jeep has run 230.000 km.

regards
Torfinn

The sprockets also has definite marks from the chain on the driveside teeth. These marks can be seen and felt with a finger nail.
Is this normal? Should I change the sprockets also? Are they a dealer only item?

Regards
Torfinn

torfinn said:
The sprockets also has definite marks from the chain on the driveside teeth. These marks can be seen and felt with a finger nail.
Is this normal? Should I change the sprockets also? Are they a dealer only item?

Regards
Torfinn
If you're changing the chain, change the sprockets as well. Since they're just floating and not pressed, there may be a little bit of play on the shaft, that's normal.

Back