• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Wiper Fix...and new pics of the jeep

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
I was at Advance Auto today and looking around the store...I found "wiper linkage bushings". The ones I found are for "93-2000 Chrysler cherokee" and some other vehicles. I was getting tired of having to push the wiper blades down after getting out because they were half way up the window.

This is what they usually look like.
HPIM0188.jpg

I took the wiper blades off by bending the wiper arm back and pulling the clip towards the glass to lock the blades up...then you just pull the wiper arms off(this is also a good time to pain if they are rusted). Then take the Fresh air vent cover off.

Next...remove the four torx bolts(t30) around the wiper arm shafts (two next to each). Then take the bolt off that is right next to the wiper motor and unplug it...this should free the motor and all the arms.

HPIM0190.jpg

HPIM0191.jpg

You can just pull apart the wiper linkage if it is as worn as mine was. Basically its just a ball and cup setup. I used a vise and a 19mm deep socket to push some of the new bushings in.
HPIM0192.jpg

On one of them I had to use a hammer and the socket to get the bushing onto the little ball. I wouldn't recommend doing this though...because the bushings are plastic.
HPIM0195.jpg

Here is a pic of the three new bushings pressed in
HPIM0196.jpg

You don't need all the bushings they give you because they are probably for other vehicles...also in the pic are the old worn bushings.
HPIM0197.jpg

No need to mark where the wipers go on the splines...after you get the linkage all back together, make sure all the arms are in the same position they were when you took it out. After the Fresh air vent cover is back on...turn the wipers on...let them turn up then down...now you can put the arms back on in the position you want.

This whole "fix" takes about 2 hours max...its EASY but it takes a little work getting the motor and linkage out of the fresh air vent.

Heres a pic after using the wipers on a dry windshield.
HPIM0198.jpg

and some pics of the jeep...and girlfriend
HPIM0201.jpg

HPIM0200.jpg

You let her put her foot on the hood? Awwww, it must be love. :smootch:

Was there a part number on that box? The dealer only sells the whole linkage together, and my Strauss, Pepboys, and Autozone say that they don't have it in stock and keep referring me to the dealer. ( No Advanced auto near me, but I'm thinking of trying to cross reference the numbers at napa if possible ).

I found them for the newer and older XJ's. I don't know if its the same brand that andrew2516 bought but its a part number you can use, I tried searching parts america (Kragen, Advanced auto etc..) but to no avail so I found these on google. I might try asking down at kragen about them but if not I'll probably order them online somewhere. I didn't even know about these since this thread and I've been living with my shot wipers for 4 years because I'm not going to pay what they want for the whole linkage at the dealer.

I had problems with my wipers not returning to the down position when shut off. I found that not only are my bushings were shot but also all of the bolts holding the linkage down and the motor to the linkages, were loose. The solid linkage between the two splines was cracked in two places also. I "patched" the crack by drilling and bolting in a piece of steel under the linkage. I think that last of my problems with the wipers will be solved with the new bushings. Thanx for the part numbers and the short write up!

Paul

i dound mine in the "help!" parts, the orange packaging where all of the odds and ends like door lock plungers and window knobs are kept.

Make sure you take lots of pics after you take it out...to help put it back together the same way as it's not as logical as it seems. Don't ask me how I know!

Johnny V said:
Make sure you take lots of pics after you take it out...to help put it back together the same way as it's not as logical as it seems. Don't ask me how I know!

Yeah...I was actually glad I took pics after I took it out because I wasn't paying attention when I ripped it apart and I had to look at the pic on the camera.

Yeah, the girl was a factory option in 93...thanks guys

Back