• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d 30s Rule! or is it installer issues?

Gary E

NAXJA Member #687
So I remember reading about dana 30 arbs wanting to spit out bolts so I thought I would take a looksee, and I wasn't super excited with what I found.

first off are these the bolts that normally back off and do was that prior to these little bolt locks? one bolt was missing the little lock and it was a 1/4 turn loose.

arb_bolts.jpg

and is this the correct torque spec for d30 ring gear bolts?

ring_gear_bolts.jpg

there were 2-3 sticking out like this. ALL THE BOLTS WERE FINGER TIGHT! Is this from the installer being to lazy to use locktite? or is this a flexy d30 housing issues? the d30 is semi trussed.

my current plan of attack is some HS loctite after I clean the bores and bolts with brake cleaner.

Last edited:
Looks like installer FU to me. Guess he ran out of Loc-Tite.

Not uncommon, must have been a lazy installer. You should have gotten someone that knew what he was doing! :D

Your plan of attack is good. Clean it up with my favourite solvent, and use the HS loctite. I have some extra lock rings for the ARB, if you need them. They are at the office if you want to pick them up tomorrow. 916-341-5393.

You need more pre-load on that carrier. See the "Re-gear" thread for a discussion. I can do it for you when I get back form bowhunting. Just for kicks, do you have the ability to check backlash with a dial indicator? I bet it's near .020.

Carrier flex rears its ugly head again. :rolleyes:

CRASH

Back