• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

squeeky hatch

ubipa

NAXJA Forum User
So the trunk has been a squeeky devil now for about a year. I kinda submitted to the problem... previously owning a classic saab 900..... the hatch use to squeek like nothing else.

Well the other day I realized why the hatch sometimes doesn't close. Apparenty one of the torx bolts holding the latch was missing and the other was extremely loose....explaining my squeekerness. I tightened the bolt up but it just doesn't want to stay tight. This wouldn't bother me much but when I'm going 60+ down the highway with Sadie (our white lab) in the back... it scares me to think the result of the hatch opening would be.

Anyone happen to have a parts truck, with an extra torx bolt from the hatch latch for the safety of my furry friend?

ubipa said:
So the trunk has been a squeeky devil now for about a year. I kinda submitted to the problem... previously owning a classic saab 900..... the hatch use to squeek like nothing else.

Well the other day I realized why the hatch sometimes doesn't close. Apparenty one of the torx bolts holding the latch was missing and the other was extremely loose....explaining my squeekerness. I tightened the bolt up but it just doesn't want to stay tight. This wouldn't bother me much but when I'm going 60+ down the highway with Sadie (our white lab) in the back... it scares me to think the result of the hatch opening would be.

Anyone happen to have a parts truck, with an extra torx bolt from the hatch latch for the safety of my furry friend?

Assuming this is the pre-97 fiberglass hatch, I might. I yanked a hatch latch recently to fix my 95, and if I can find the one I took out I think I'll find the screws. But the barn is deep and dark and damp and swallows stuff. Nag me tomorrow night if I haven't responded. If I find one I'll post back and we can arrange to stick it in an envelope.

So what happened to SAAB? So I know I'm an old fart and all, but I remember when SAAB's big claim to fame was that they never rattled ever! If a Saab 93 or 96 had ever rattled, white coated technicians flown in from Sweden would have been crawling around inside it with stethoscopes. Mind you, if it overheated or the transmission fell out, there would be a chorus of yawns, but a rattle!?!? Never.

oh, it's a 2000 sport.

I think all classic 900 hatchbacks had a bad case of rattling. too much flex in the unibody. the hatch was also huge and heavy. Actually the whole car was noisy. You could hear the engine well too easy from the passenger compartment and the doors were under sealed from wind.

Sorry I can't help you with later model, or at least not unless the screws are interchangeable. anyway owing to a family emergency I find myself not at home for at least a few days to come, so no screws forthcoming. If I have time I'll look at the latch on my '99 which I have with me, and see if I can figure out if I have any of the right ones somewhere.

Too bad about the SAAB, not that it matters to me that much. My last (and I mean last) one was a '69 99. If you're a Saab person, you'll kind of know what I mean, but if not, the 99 was a bit of a problem vehicle in many ways, and the 69 was a half-year model, rare and with many teething problems not made any better by the fact that the engine was actually half of a Triumph Stag V8, with a Zenith Stromberg carburetor and a British Delco ignition system.

My dad had a couple of the old "cornpopper" Saabs, which were quite entertaining. One of them blew beautiful smoke rings at idle.

Back